Sign in to follow this  

2011-2012 RMZ 250 Suspension Setup

Purchasing a 2012 rmz 250 this week and was going to get the suspension done before riding it. Couldn't find much info for what weight the bike is sprung for other than mxa's review saying 140-165 Beginner to Intermediate. Called factory connection last week and they said the bike is sprung for 200lb and I find it hard to believe that a 250 is sprung that heavy. My local tuner that I used last year said that he would leave the stock rear spring but go lighter on the forks. I'm a mid pack c rider and weigh 165 without gear and ride mx. For those of you that have experience with this bike, what are you guys running or recommend?

the bike is valved for a intermediate-good rider and the european have spring for 80 kg i think is around 190

for you can use the fork spring but need a softner spring on shock

have you ride the bike???what you like/dislike?

check the rear sag,that give you if you need the change of spring!

• Like 1

I don't know where Mxa get there info, the rmz is the stiffest sprung and valved bike on the market , I'm 150 and use 0.45 and 5.3 for expert speed mx use , and it's valved softer , my springs would work for you but the valving will be stiff to say the least

the bike is valved for a intermediate-good rider and the european have spring for 80 kg i think is around 190

for you can use the fork spring but need a softner spring on shock

have you ride the bike???what you like/dislike?

check the rear sag,that give you if you need the change of spring!

Picking up the bike today so I havent had the chance to set race sag and evaluate the free sag numbers. Wanted to get others opinions to verify what I was told by fc was correct and here from others personal experiences.

I think you read the MXA '11 RMZ250 article, or they just copy and pasted their info from '11 to '12. Wouldn't surprise me. I am an expert rider, going for my pro license this year and weigh 185. I am running stock springs with stiffer valving, you will need much lighter springs and valving or this bike will kick your ass. Especially if you're riding Englishtown or Walden MX as your local track.

Give Mickey Kessler @ KPS a call. He'll be able to get you set up and have the bike working the way it should. 732-974-0985. Tell him Andrew Flood sent you

I think you read the MXA '11 RMZ250 article, or they just copy and pasted their info from '11 to '12. Wouldn't surprise me. I am an expert rider, going for my pro license this year and weigh 185. I am running stock springs with stiffer valving, you will need much lighter springs and valving or this bike will kick your ass. Especially if you're riding Englishtown or Walden MX as your local track.

Give Mickey Kessler @ KPS a call. He'll be able to get you set up and have the bike working the way it should. 732-974-0985. Tell him Andrew Flood sent you

I called Mickey last week and he told me the same thing that the bike was sprung too heavy but there was 2-3 week wait for turnaround. He did a pretty good job on my yz250f a few years ago (and pretty cheap). I ended up getting a deal on factory connection through hookit so I went ahead and shipped it out last week. Might have it back by the end of the week. I ride englishtown and blue diamond mostly.

your probably looking at .45 forks and a 5.1 or 5.2 shock spring. as noted above they are sprung a little heavy stock and valved for faster riders.

not sure about the 5.4. my kid weighs 145 and we run a 5.1 and he loves it.

I don't know where Mxa get there info...

I'll bet a proctologist could tell you.

I think you read the MXA '11 RMZ250 article, or they just copy and pasted their info from '11 to '12. Wouldn't surprise me.

MXA is usually one of the more reliable sources, but every once in a while, I find myself wondering how some stuff makes it to print. The thing to remember is that some of it is fact, and some of it is opinion (and you have to ask, whose?).

I'll bet a proctologist could tell you.

MXA is usually one of the more reliable sources, but every once in a while, I find myself wondering how some stuff makes it to print. The thing to remember is that some of it is fact, and some of it is opinion (and you have to ask, whose?).

Found this on MXA's website. http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Suzuki/News/MXAS-2012-SUZUKI-RMZ250-MOTOCROSS-TEST-IS-IT-JUST-8537.aspx

This bike is sprung for a 140- to 165-pound Beginner to Intermediate. The heavier the rider, the slower he had better go in order to effectively use the 0.47 kg/mm springs. Anyone heavier than 165 pounds or faster than an Intermediate should seriously consider jumping up a spring rate.

What are they smoking? The springs are stiffer than most 450s and the bike weighs 15lb less than a 450 , they have the stiffest valve stacks of any showa I know of, maybe apart from the jack hammer 08 crf

What are they smoking? The springs are stiffer than most 450s and the bike weighs 15lb less than a 450 , they have the stiffest valve stacks of any showa I know of, maybe apart from the jack hammer 08 crf

Just quoting what MXA said.

Not blaming you, blaming bad journalism