Sign in to follow this  

Just got a 12 500 exc..Now what?

Bought it over the weekend and pick up on wednesday.What mods should i start with?I'm going to order a skidplate for it and handguards today. Has anyone got the plastic quick disconnect from KTM yey?

What about removing all the smog stuff,Is it worth it?I saw a post that says it's only 1.5lbs so is the perfomance gain noticable? So post up what you've done and how you like it.

Thanks

i just bought one too. I ordered Flexx Bars in the Adventure high bend, a rekluse Zstart Pro, an extra tall seat, Cycra hand guards for the Flexx bars, a map switch, lower gearing (sprockets) and fat boy springs. From what i see, the only smog related stuff is the check valve in the crank case vent. The EF works really well, so i may hold off on the JD jet tuner until i can ride it with the map switch and see if it needs anything else. If you ride it in the rocks and little to never on the road....count the stock metzlers for worthless. They are hard and got almost no traction in the rocks of Arkansas. I will be going with a trials tire asap with the tubliss system on rear. i'll be waiting to see what this thread suggests myself! Good riding!

Josh

Depending on what type of riding you will be doing the stock gearing will probably be too tall. I went to 14/48 which allows for much better low speed usage without slipping the clutch, not sure on top speed but my guess would still be 80+. Mine has the KTM plastic slidplate installed, works great - just make sure you secure the quick release well as there have been reports of it coming out and people losing the skidplate. Removing smog stuff will get rid of the popping on decel and eliminate the stalling issues that plagues some bikes after hard riding, in stock form the plumbing gets full of fumes and the bike will stall after long whoop sections in certain cases. Mine has the stuff removed and the XC-W map loaded, runs perfectly and idles like a sewing machine at stops.

Modification list can go on forever depending on your preferences but here are a couple other things I did.

SAR rear fender / Front handguards with blinkers

SAR multi function switch / left mirror

SAR Keyless ignition

EE bark busters / front slave protector - sprocket cover

Ironman Sprockets with upgraded O ring chain

Removed stock injector filter before throttle body - installed inline Golan

There are a bunch of other small things, check out KTMtalk for nice write ups on prep. Bike has almost no grease so tear it down before you ride it and pack everything.

Have about 50 miles on mine now and it KTM hit the mark for sure, bike is great offroad.

Pic from my ride Saturday:

2012-02-04_13-35-49_180.jpg

Depending on what type of riding you will be doing the stock gearing will probably be too tall. I went to 14/48 which allows for much better low speed usage without slipping the clutch, not sure on top speed but my guess would still be 80+. Mine has the KTM plastic slidplate installed, works great - just make sure you secure the quick release well as there have been reports of it coming out and people losing the skidplate. Removing smog stuff will get rid of the popping on decel and eliminate the stalling issues that plagues some bikes after hard riding, in stock form the plumbing gets full of fumes and the bike will stall after long whoop sections in certain cases. Mine has the stuff removed and the XC-W map loaded, runs perfectly and idles like a sewing machine at stops.

Modification list can go on forever depending on your preferences but here are a couple other things I did.

SAR Keyless ignition

There are a bunch of other small things, check out KTMtalk for nice write ups on prep. Bike has almost no grease so tear it down before you ride it and pack everything.

Have about 50 miles on mine now and it KTM hit the mark for sure, bike is great offroad.

How would you compare this on the trails to your KX450f?

How would you compare this on the trails to your KX450f?

Totally different, that is why I own both. The KTM is exactly what I have been searching for, true dirt worthy dual sport from the factory. I actually spent a bit of time pit riding it and jumping on Saturday, have to say it behaved much better than I thought it would. If you are thinking about it for any extended street use I would look elsewhere, IMO it is terrible on road. Might try to balance the wheels to see if that helps a little but it vibrates bad at most RPM's and after 5 miles the seat hurts so bad I want off!

Edited by Mikek671

Totally different, that is why I own both. The KTM is exactly what I have been searching for, true dirt worthy dual sport from the factory. I actually spent a bit of time pit riding it and jumping on Saturday, have to say it behaved much better than I thought it would. If you are thinking about it for any extended street use I would look elsewhere, IMO it is terrible on road. Might try to balance the wheels to see if that helps a little but it vibrates bad at most RPM's and after 5 miles the seat hurts so bad I want off!

Driving to work is only 4 miles @45mph so my butt should be good. I really want a dirt bike and being able to save money on the way to work is just icing on the cake. Still it may be better to have two bikes, with one for commuting to work and the other for just riding.

SAR Keyless ignition

Pic from my ride Saturday

Thanks I just ordered the skid and sprockets. I still need to get some handguards and 3 map switch.I've been drooling over some of that sicass stuff. :smirk:

I was told the ZS Pro wouldn't work and the Core was still a few weeks out. What did you really order?

It's an EXP, a cross between standard EXP and Core EXP that costs $599. They started shipping 2 weeks ago.

Thank you Brian!

It's an EXP, a cross between standard EXP and Core EXP that costs $599. They started shipping 2 weeks ago.

Thank you Brian!

What's different between it and the EXP?

I was told the ZS Pro wouldn't work and the Core was still a few weeks out. What did you really order?

Good question! The KTM dealer that i purchased bike from said they would get it....Guess they did not know this info. I will be calling them right now

Totally different, that is why I own both. The KTM is exactly what I have been searching for, true dirt worthy dual sport from the factory. I actually spent a bit of time pit riding it and jumping on Saturday, have to say it behaved much better than I thought it would.

Hi Mike

I've been on a KX450F for 4 years and am researching possibly trading to the KTM 500 EXC. I'm scared that I'll miss the performance (power, suspension and agility) of the MX'er but would like it bush legal for club use. Would you say the KTM will satisfy my power lust and will it take happily what I expect a bike to take. The KX has a notoriously stonkin' motor and that's why I'm thinking I'd want a 500 to keep that grunt. I don't want to lose any grunt by going to a 450 EXC.

By all reports the KTMs are very agile while the KX isn't the most nimble turner so it sounds like I may pick up on the handling...

Can I get your thoughts?

Thanks mate :-)

Edited by brenno

Hi Mike

I've been on a KX450F for 4 years and am researching possibly trading to the KTM 500 EXC. I'm scared that I'll miss the performance (power, suspension and agility) of the MX'er but would like it bush legal for club use. Would you say the KTM will satisfy my power lust and will it take happily what I expect a bike to take. The KX has a notoriously stonkin' motor and that's why I'm thinking I'd want a 500 to keep that grunt. I don't want to lose any grunt by going to a 450 EXC.

By all reports the KTMs are very agile while the KX isn't the most nimble turner so it sounds like I may pick up on the handling...

Can I get your thoughts?

Thanks mate :-)

It is hard to compare the KX motor to anything else, we all know that they put out massive power - the 12 is a rocket. The KTM does not have the "brutal" delivery that the KX has but it does not disappoint either, it lugs down very well and resists stalling for woods riding. It will loft the front wheel when needed and get things moving in a hurry when you twist the throttle, it does not rev out like the KX so if you love high RPM riding it might not suit your style. I am sure running an aftermarket muffler would help a bunch but unless I can find one as quiet as stock I will not be switching mine. The KTM is more user friendly and after a bit of getting used to it I am sure it would allow you to ride longer without getting tired out, after 4-5 long moto sessions on the KX it starts to become a handful when fatigue sets in. I assume you have an 08 or so KX, the 12 is worlds different if you have not tried one. Good friend of mine has an 09 KX and to be honest I never liked it, feels really big and wide to me.

I am still messing with the suspension on the KTM but so far my only complaint is with the rear packing a bit on big whoops. Tweaked the sag and clickers since I last rode it and will try it out again this weekend and see if I went in the right direction. Spring rates seem pretty good but I am only 165 without gear, some guys have reported OK results with it and they were in the 190-200lb range - trail riding only. Surprisingly the KTM feels light and steers very well, sad to say but I actually like the front end better comapred to the KX for railing turns and the Kawi has full RG3 suspension. They are both really good bikes, it comes down to personal preference/setup and what type of riding you are going to be subjecting them to. Would I want to turn laps on an MX track with the KTM? Maybe for fun but nothing serious - that is why I have the KX. I am heading to FL next month for some riding and only taking the KX, we mix it up a bit on the trip and besides MX I will be using it for single track and woods riding - not its element for sure but it can still be done.

Edited by Mikek671
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Mike. Nice to know the motor won't disappoint- I'm sure I can adapt to the different style of power delivery, as long as it's there to find. My KX is an 07 which has the most aggressive motor by all accounts. I love it. But for sure the front end has always dissapointed. It's really good in fast single trail but it just doesn't rail ruts like my previous kawi's - and I look forward to having that back. I don't race MX - I just have a hack now and then so I think the Kato will suit well :-) I'm 210lb without gear but I don't often take big air. I'm more ground based. :-)