Sign in to follow this  

Drz400sm loosing coolant Mystery

Wondering if anybody out the has had some experience with a drz loosing coolant.

Last winter I did a complete engine rebuild because I was loosing coolant, at the time I had coolant in the crankcase as well as signs of it in the cylinder because the top of the piston was kind of slimey, you could wipe the top of the piston clean with a rag.

Now that I have done this rebuild I still loose coolant. The bike does not blow white smoke out the exhaust and rads don't leak or show any signs of leaking under pressure after they get hot. I add about an inch or two of coolant ever couple of days and I only have a 6km drive to work so that seem like quite a bit.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Kevin

Last time I check no there wasn't. I'm going to drain the oil tonight to reconfirm that.

At first when I took the engine apart I suspected that my cylinder sleeve had moved as I have a 97mm bore but there was no signs of the sleeve moving and the head gasket and base gasket didn't look bad at all when removed on my rebuild last winter.

It seemed to me that having coolant in the oil and sign of it being in the combustion chamber was strange.

And a crack head on a drz is kind of unheard of really, not a common problem with the drz I've never known anybody that has and mine looked great and with my bike only has 8000km on it.

Well there was a milky grey sludge in the rocker cover when I did the rebuild but I didn't see any rust plugs.

When you say welch plug are you referring to the two metal plug that would be a like a frost plug type thing right on top of the head on either side of the spark plug hole?

If they are not rusted how would you check if they leak and can they be removed without removing the head from the engine?

Well there was a milky grey sludge in the rocker cover when I did the rebuild but I didn't see any rust plugs.

When you say welch plug are you referring to the two metal plug that would be a like a frost plug type thing right on top of the head on either side of the spark plug hole?

If they are not rusted how would you check if they leak and can they be removed without removing the head from the engine?

Yes those two plugs under the cams in the head.

Replace with the head on? .. Well Im sure if I just had to I could do that, but no.. Id be more comfortable removing the head, and doing the job on the bench

Coolant pressure tester with an assembled engine.. if coolant is leaking out of them it will happen at 10-20 psi