Sign in to follow this  

Power Valve Adjuster Question (2000 200 EXC)

I never adjusted my powervalve in the 2+ years I had this bike. I was happy with how it ran. Recently, it was down on power, and it seemed like the PV was not opening, or opening late. I tried adjusting it, and it agev mixed effects. I noticed that the locking bolt was not actually locking the adjuster. I removed the copper washer from the locking bolt, and now it holds the adjuster.

So,my question is, why would the adjuster suddenly move by itself, or why would that bolt suddenly not lock it. I'm guessing it wasn't always "loose", or would have moved before. Note bolt was not actually "loose", it was in tight, just not holding adjuster.

With bolt loose, removing or installing cover can let the adjuster turn.

Anyhow, it seems to be fine now, just wondering if anyone ever had the same problem?

The 8mm bolt in the 4 ocklock position at the adjuster is what holds the adjuster still. Back it out and put a very small piece of an o-ring or something soft plastic like a piece of zip tie on the end of the bolt and re-install. It holds the adjuster in place.Very common.

you need to pull the cylinder and clean the PV assembly. It is likely gummed up. The locking bolt is not designed to "lock" the adjuster, just to keep pressure on it so it doesn't turn while in operation.

If you don't have the depth needed to seat the cap on the copper washer, you could have an issue in the PV system, worn arm, balls out of place, etc.

there have been 2 cases recently where the balls had come out of their spots and gotten lodged in the timer, keeping it from operating properly.

the "lock" bolt comes from the factory with a piece of rubber in the hole that the bolt pushes against the assy in the hole, it gets hard, shrinks, chewed up, falls out, etc. Do a new piece of something and put it in the hole for thAT PROBLEM. lIKE g SAID ITS TIME TO TAKE IT APART AND CLEAN IT AND CHECK THE COMPONENTS TOO.