Sign in to follow this  

different head gasket thicknesses, your experience

For the 450 and 510, there are 3 different thicknesses of head gaskets, am I correct in that?

If thickness is the difference, has anyone used the thickest one to lessen compression a little?

Which one comes standard on the 2008-2010 450, 510?

8E00 A4195 (1,0 mm) (450-510) Gasket (1,0 mm) (450-510)

8B00 A4195 (1,1 mm) (450-510) Gasket (1,1 mm) (450-510)

8H00 A4195 (1,2 mm) (450-510) Gasket (1,2 mm) (450-510)

In the 2009 manual I have, I see where the different head gasket thicknesses are used to make the combustion chamber uniform, depending on the variances of the piston/rod height. I don't see anything about any spacers. Also, I guess they are always assuming a new base gasket, uncrushed, is installed for this measuring procedure.

I would think that not every motor that came off the assembly line would be fitted with the 1.1mm gasket, they probably use the different thicknesses at the factory to make the combustion chambers uniform.

HuskyHeadGasket.jpg

Since you haven't gotten any reply yet I'd point you to calling George @ Uptite....he will have the info from memory and I've heard him advise people on this a few times. 1 714-540-2920

Since you haven't gotten any reply yet I'd point you to calling George @ Uptite....he will have the info from memory and I've heard him advise people on this a few times. 1 714-540-2920

I've been bothering George quite a bit lately about my hard starting problem after my cam timing/water pump shaft replacement debacle. As of yesterday, I have solved my problems on that front.

I did get one guy on CH that said some Aussie guys would replace the stock head gasket with the thicker one to get a little more tractable power, kinda like Scott Summers taking off some of the piston dome to reduce compression.

Just use the thick one. Only .008 difference between the 1.0 and the 1.2 Not enough difference to tell or feel anything. With are gas today would like to see a 2.0.

Later George

Just use the thick one. Only .008 difference between the 1.0 and the 1.2 Not enough difference to tell or feel anything. With are gas today would like to see a 2.0.

Later George

Thanks George, I'm gonna do what a guy on CH did: 2 base gaskets and the 1.2 head gasket, should be noticeable.