Sign in to follow this  

Here is what I did over the weekend

I was able to score a complete set of DRZ wheels from a guy on ADV that converted his DRZ to super moto, they came with tires, disks, sprocket, collars, and the odo drive, all for $200.00! What a bargin. So this weekend I stripped the old tires off of the rims, cleaned them up and mounted up a new set of Avon Distanzias that I got from the TT store and thought I would share a few pics.

Now I will be able to run the Avon's when I ride my bike to work thereby saving my knobbies and all it will take is about 10 minutes to swap out the wheels for the knobbies when I ride in the desert here, cool huh!

Here is a before shot:

100_2156.jpg

Here is the after shot with the new Avons:

100_2159.jpg

Now here is a shot with the newly mounted Dunlop MX51's sitting next to the bike:

100_2165.jpg

Now a closer look at the new Dunlop's front and rear:

100_2167.jpg

100_2166.jpg

Now I HAVE to take a street ride to check these Avon's out!

Awesome deal indeed! The Avons wear like iron but are a little slick when on a wet street, worse than the Trailwings on the street. JMHO

Edited by JEB1962

Awesome deal indeed! The Avons wear like iron but are a little slick when on a wet street, worse than the Trailwings on the street. JMHO

Really? I'm running 21/18 distanzias and they stick much better than the avon gripsters ever did, wet or dry. I never got to experience the trailwings but they must be pretty impressive on the street. I have been very happy with the distanzias so far. I will probably run distanzias on 17's when I finally get an SM wheelset. I believe they are the tires of choice for sportsman class supermotoing.

Ehh, what can I say, they seemed more slick on wet than the Trailwings to me. We have a lot of painted surface on the local roads and when I had them on I noticed the ass end was a little more squirelly on wet than usual. They lasted very well though.

Well I went to swap the dirt wheels for the street wheels and found the front tire flat, WTH?

So I air it up and look the tire over and can't find a thing wrong, again WTH?

So I take the valve cap off and put a little spit on the valve and it's blowing bubbles, BIG bubbles.

Put in a new valve core and it's all good again, weird huh.

So far I like the Avon's but have not had the chance to take it for a long street ride to really test the tires. On the plus side, with the Avon's it is way smoother on the street and I can get it up to 94mph according to the speedo. Way too much fun!

Nice setup, I'm jealous. Btw, what skidplate is that? I like that it covers the waterpump.

Edited by steve_k

I got it from Rugged Rider dot com, bolts to the frame rails, not the bottom of the plate so there are no bolt heads sticking out to get smashed up. Comes with the bolts and slips right on.