Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke pipe cage?

Somewhere I saw a skid plate that covers just about the same amount of the pipe. I think it bolts to the front engine mount for support.

I can't seem to remember who makes it.

You could buy a new pipe (same make/model) , then cut your old one along the seams and double up the critical areas.

That would add dent resistance as well as rigidity.

Put those armor pieces through a bead roller before you weld them on and you can gain even more strength from the resulting "ribs".

After that, weld a mounting tab on the headpipe just in front of the flywheel cover.

Use a longer engine mount bolt with a spacer tube (~3/4" long) to attach a second rubberized pipe mount between the frame and that new mounting tab.

I've never tried any of that, but I've thought about it a lot. Pipe damage is the major downside to owning a 250cc or bigger two stroke.

I seem to remember one of our Aussie friends post up about those type of cages, I would assume(dangerous, I know)that it is made of fairly HD tubing to keep the weight down somewhat. If you're so inclined I would think you could make one, it appears the center mount is a u-bolt around the frame.

I found the one I was thinking of, it's made by Hyde Racing. I've never used one, it could work really well, but it could be a total piece of junk:

http://www.hyderacing.com/store/dirtbike/yamaha/yz_250.htm

hp_exg_35_l.jpg

I don't use one personally(I think they are ugly as hell) but a few guys run them in our series and I have heard nothing and about them.

I don't use one personally(I think they are ugly as hell) but a few guys run them in our series and I have heard nothing and about them.

Well they certainly are ugly...

If that thing were made of steel, or a good grade of aluminum, it would be very hard to damage a pipe.

The web page says Teflon/co-polymer and it looks like the guard uses the pipe for some support (hose clamps).

Also, looking through some of their other products, it all looks vacuum formed, like the old Mier brand plastic. Vacuum formed stuff is often-times crappy.

My biggest problem has been bending the 180* loop on the left side of the bike all the way back against the frame.

I will probably build a pipe with a double skin in that area and a rubber mount like I described above.

The small dends, even major dents I can fix. When it's crushed against the frame, it's very tough.

If that thing were made of steel, or a good grade of aluminum, it would be very hard to damage a pipe.

The web page says Teflon/co-polymer and it looks like the guard uses the pipe for some support (hose clamps).

Also, looking through some of their other products, it all looks vacuum formed, like the old Mier brand plastic. Vacuum formed stuff is often-times crappy.

My biggest problem has been bending the 180* loop on the left side of the bike all the way back against the frame.

I will probably build a pipe with a double skin in that area and a rubber mount like I described above.

The small dends, even major dents I can fix. When it's crushed against the frame, it's very tough.

I've seen photos of you doing this, most cannot get the bike that low on lefthand corners

Lol, yes, I'm much the same. When I hit something with my pipe, usually it crushes the pipe in and around the frame. I dont use them for that particular reason. About a month ago I pushed the pipe so far back and around the frame that it melted the plastic cover of my electric starter(KTM 2t). I doubt a pipe guard of any kind would have helped much.