Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Performance - Kick It Up A Notch

I need some advice. After trying out some newer bikes (KTM's, Burgs', Huskies), I quickly came to the conclusion that the front brakes on my '04 E suck. I have tried all the standard upgrades for the stock system (SS lines, better pads, wave rotor) but the the braking power and feel is no where close to what the newer bikes have.

This is nothing radically different on the new bikes, so I figure my next step is to transplant a good setup (caliper and master cylinder) from a newer bike. The master cylinder should not be a problem, any one will bolt onto the bars.

Has anyone tried installing a Brembo KTM caliper? It looks like it might fit.

The Honda CRF's are supposed to have good brakes and they are also NIssin's maybe it would be a easier swap?

It would be great if someone got this working before I start buying stuff on ebay.

Master cylinders do matter. They have different internal piston sizes that can greatly affect feel and braking power.

I was thinking of buying a caliper/master set so I could get the same feel/performance that the newer bike has.

The "doesn't matter" part referred to it fitting on the handlbars, any master cylinder should fit.

I think the E only has a 12mm master, the SM has a 1/2" (12.7mm).

Before changing over the full brake system on my bike, I installed a 14mm master from a 2005 Katana 600 on my SM to try it out before installing the new caliper and rotor. I was amazed at how much it improved the brakes with the stock caliper (and rubber hose). The Katana master uses the same brake switch as the stock DRZ so it was a very simple swap. It provided a much better overall feel for use on the street, it may be a little too much is someone is running a dirt only set-up. I would expect that even using the SM master on the E would be an improvement.

Edited by Radtech