Sign in to follow this  

yz250f?

Hello

I am looking to buy a yz250f and i have a yz 125 now are the four strokes are they money pits? i have only owned 2 strokes

Thanks

why would i get a pit bike if i race motocross? what bike do you have/recommend

Edited by bam290

The yz250f is probly the best 250 4 stroke you can buy. Yamaha makes the most reliable 4 strokes out there.Why would they be money pits?

• Like 1

I think the CRF250R is the valve eater you have heard about, especially the pre 2006 ones. Just keep the air filter cleaned and the oil changed regularly and you will be fine.

250fs are probably a little more expensive to maintain than your 125. But as said above, if reliability is what you are after, look no further than the yz250f. Just keep up on the oil and airfilter and give the valves a look at the appropriate times and the bike should last a long while.

that's what i have been hearing that they are money pits that the valves go bad fast

yeah, if it's a honda crf250r. my 05 yz250f is still on origional valves after more than 200 hrs.

Yamaha 4 strokes are extremely reliable.. but if you have had 2 strokes your whole life maybe look into a yz 250 they have some balls and last a long time too

my son made the swith from a 07 yz125 to 08 yz250f for mx sx. No problems at all, just more frequent maintenance. The valve train is the thing you need to watch and have inspected according to the timechart in the book. Other than that, changing oil frequently is the only big thing.

We have been racing the YZ250F since 09. have to say it is a very reliable four stroke compared to the last KX250F we ran. have replaced on piston and switched the intake valve to stainless steel. This did take some of the over rev and top end off but have not shimmed a valve in a year of racing on them. clutch can be fried if abused but I think they all can. Change the oil every race and keep the suspension linkage and swinarm pivots clean and lubed and it will not let you down.