Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Bike durability - General guidelines....

Looking for some real-world insight to a couple of questions...

I know dirt bikes and owners vary, I have read my owners manual...so I am NOT looking for specifics..rather,

Now that you have owned and ridden dirt bikes for years. What maintenance do you keep an eye out for at various stages?

What is prompting this post is yesterday I was doing a hillclimb with a friend and his sprocket shredded. When checking out mine, it is apparent that my chain is too loose and my sprocket teeth are getting narrow. Time to change them.

I bought an '08 KTM 250F that was ridden pretty hard by the previous owner, not couting a quick turnaround purchase,....this is my first bike.

I do the regular oil/air filters. I re-did the fork seals. Now the sprocket and chain are due. Anything else around this time to look for? How many miles is the point where you start looking to sell it for maximum gain before the maitenance headaches take over? Again, based on your methods....I wanna hear what you have come up with. Thanks.

I actually have a pretty little pixie in my fanny pack. She lets me know when anything is about to break and needs replacing. She is really good friends with Tinkerbelle.

Most of the time she is asleep, so when it breaks, or wears out of specifications I fix it.

Other than that, happy trails. The maintenance manual and visually inspecting the bike is your best bet.

Oi, you try to make your question jackass proof, but the internet.....she finds a way damnit!

So, go read your car's owners manual and see if you agree with the timetable and inspect your car like you should. The fact is German cars have electric issues, VW's are prone to burn oil, etc. etc. The place where I bought my new Ford wants maintenance checks every 10K miles. A 20K mile service? Guess what, experience says I will pass on those. That kind of thing.

I don't live in the Castro in San Francisco, so I don't have a pretty pixie who's up in my fanny packed to tell me what to do like you.

Every time I have a wheel off I pack the bearings (razor blade to remove the thin seal on sealed wheel bearings, pack with grease, snap seal back into place).

Twice per year I grease the steering stem, swingarm and linkage bearings.

I pack all connectors with dielectric grease once.

I check all the links on my chain whenever I have the back wheel off.

I lube the chain and sprockets before every ride making sure to look at them.

I check the spokes every now and again, but at least a few times per year.

The entire bike including brakes, hoses, plastic, radiators, fasteners, etc are looked at prior to and after most rides as a matter of habit.

... and then of course filters, oil, etc. on a very regular basis.

What is prompting this post is yesterday I was doing a hillclimb with a friend and his sprocket shredded. When checking out mine, it is apparent that my chain is too loose and my sprocket teeth are getting narrow. Time to change them.

My friend, the answer was tongue in cheek because you answered your own question.

Look at your bike. Does something look wrong? If so fix it.