Sign in to follow this  

Should I sale my Plated KLX400R and get a wr250r

Will I be kicking myself for this, is it an upgrade, downgrade, or lateral move. I know the wr250 is said to be smoother on the highway and I like that for sure, but 95% I am riding at home with my son him on a JR80. I am a fairly good rider but which is easier to ride fast in the woods and on trails on? Which bike would make a slighty above average rider look better. I wish the 400 was a little more nimble were I could transistion in the turns a little faster. I am not interested in the huskys or KTMs, they are just not practical enough, higher maintenence interviles, and not enough dealor support. Also I am scared the 250 will not have enough power and I actually like to keep the engines stock because they will last longer so big bore, cranks and cam jobs are out of the question for me. I like to ride not tinker!

If you can plate your KLX400, just do that, you allready got the bike, if its doable in your state, you are mabye looking at around 500 bucks for everything needed, id just do that instead of spending around 5k for a different bike.

But if you got the money, keep yours the way it is, and get a wr250r too.

My bike is already plated in a nearly impossible state. My bike just has a lot of use on it and I just wanted to change before it gets too tired, and I want better handling and for the cost of putting better suspention and up keep on my bike I could have a new bike so thats where I am coming from.

ok, then id say go for it for sure,

the wr250r is the bike i originally wanted to get, just could not afford a new one at the time, and there is none on Craigslist (and around here if there is one on craigslist, it sells in a day or so),

the good thing about the wr250r, is theres tons of upgrades, a full forum dedicated to just that bike, and valve check at 26,000 miles, lol

between the WR250R, DRZ400S and the KLX250S, (most popular small bore DS), id go for the wr250r.

The KLX will out perform the WR 250r, the wr and drz weigh about the same, but the WR is slow, piss slow.

You will grow tired of how heavy it is and slow it is. Upgrade the bike you have,The newer (kind of ugly) styling of the wr does not out weight the negative traits of the bike. My co workers both had WR250r and did everything under the sun, programmers, pipes, mufflers, sprockets and while it helped make them a little faster, my boss had used drz400s( same thing) and it would still pull them everywhere, and even got as good of mileage. Both of them sold their WRs and purchased 450 one a Husky the other a WR450 yamaha..Both said they would never go back and lost alot of money selling the 250s.

• Like 1

The KLX will out perform the WR 250r, the wr and drz weigh about the same, but the WR is slow, piss slow.

You will grow tired of how heavy it is and slow it is. Upgrade the bike you have,The newer (kind of ugly) styling of the wr does not out weight the negative traits of the bike. My co workers both had WR250r and did everything under the sun, programmers, pipes, mufflers, sprockets and while it helped make them a little faster, my boss had used drz400s( same thing) and it would still pull them everywhere, and even got as good of mileage. Both of them sold their WRs and purchased 450 one a Husky the other a WR450 yamaha..Both said they would never go back and lost alot of money selling the 250s.

Well if it is that slow I may have to look into KTM 530 or 525 EXC or something .Thanks for telling me I thought it was only a little slower. maybe I will get lucky and a 530 or 525 owner who owned a drz400 before hand will chime in. I know the ktm will kick my 400 at every aspect, but is it better on the road as far as revs,and viberation at 65 mph. Also will it really need more maintenance and is it as dependable as a drz/klx400?

Well if it is that slow I may have to look into KTM 530 or 525 EXC or something .Thanks for telling me I thought it was only a little slower. maybe I will get lucky and a 530 or 525 owner who owned a drz400 before hand will chime in. I know the ktm will kick my 400 at every aspect, but is it better on the road as far as revs,and viberation at 65 mph. Also will it really need more maintenance and is it as dependable as a drz/klx400?

I can chime in and tell you that i have not owned a new ktm but i am currently the owner of an 02 520exc and the reason i joined this site was to swap it for a drz400/klx400. I ride with my dad alot and he has a 990 adventure and an drz. From my experience, if you don't like to tinker, dont get a ktm over the 400. I love riding my bike but have had a lot of finnicky maintenece related and other problems that i can't figure out. I personally love the way a ktm rides and feels but i spent more time riding it back and forth from the shop than anywhere and now that its running at peak performance i want to sell it for a drz. My dads bike always starts, hes always kept up with me or been ahead of me, it rides better on the road by a long shot and all he sacrifices is a little bit of weight and power. I myself am going in reverse and truly believe its a good move. Just something to consider.

well thanks, I guess I will keep my bike and hope they make a wr450r. It seems that DSer's are the bastard step children of the motorcycle world. The manufactures trip over each other to make great cruzers and sportbikes and leave us few choices.

Edited by dirtbogger

BS!! the WRR will easilty outrun a KLX250S.

The WRR will keep up with a DRZ better than the KLX does to the WRR.

The WRR,KLX,DRZ are slow compared to a 450+ Husky,Husa,KTM etc....

The 450+ Husky,Husa,KTM etc....are well built bikes you could race on, just putting around on they will last a very long time.

BS!! the WRR will easilty outrun a KLX250S.

The WRR will keep up with a DRZ better than the KLX does to the WRR.

The WRR,KLX,DRZ are slow compared to a 450+ Husky,Husa,KTM etc....

The 450+ Husky,Husa,KTM etc....are well built bikes you could race on, just putting around on they will last a very long time.

Read again, no one said anything about a KLX250! The only BS part is you not reading and understanding the entire thread and post I made.

Don't do it! I rode a buddies wr250r with $400 in suspension work, FMF pipe, all the upgrades, and its still a dog compared to my DRZ400. I thought, no way I'd spend money for one of these. A WR250F instead of an R would be a different story if it were plated.The DRZ has a much stronger motor (and can still be used to chase the kids around) much better suspension (see the WR20S forums about the kicker shock) and way more aftermarket support and possibilities, not to mention the way too high price of the WR250R. Stick with your KLX400.