Sign in to follow this  

can some one verify my piston clearance

bike

2001 cr250 just got plated and matched to a stock bore pro-x piston

i want to run a wiseco ( as i have a new oem cylinder or order and want to put the pro-x in that)

here are my measurements ( all parts were at room temp when i measured with digital dial calipers)

cylinder

2.6125-2.6135

piston ( wiseco)

2.6105-2.6115

and a .0025 feeler guage fits in nice but the .003 will not

i have heard that 25 thou is plenty for a wiseco piston is this true if so im going to run it

using a feeler gauge is a half ass way of doing it. just sayin. i used to do it before i bought bore gauge and micrometers. if for some reason you do have a failure you have nobody to blame but yourself. keep that in mind

well i doubt i will

the wiseco piston is exactly 1 tho smaller than th e pro-x

i dont have access to a bore gauge

and the wiseco piston is for a stock bore, and how many people on this forum have put in a wiseco piston with out even checking clearnce

this set up is only temporary cure for my ridding bug until the new cylinder comes in ... im ridding single track with the right jetting

looks like you need to add .001 over stock cleaence, the new bore was matched to a stock piston and the wiseco is exactly .001 smaller than the stock piston so i think i will be good again im not racing and as long as i warm up the bike real good ( i always do ) i think it will hold up

anyone have thoughts on this ?

.0025 is plenty. i had .002 with my weisco, didn't see any scuffing. Weisco spec is .0015 min. Honda specs a larger min clearance as idiot proofing. BTW, i use feeler gauge method also, seems sufficiently accurate.