Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever have one of these Yamaha's

These bikes were never Yellow and Black. They are a one year only bike and are overly rare. The laydown rear shocks give it away. The suspension has been modified with longer Curnutt Shocks and a fork kit like they used to race in the desert years ago. Finding parts for this bike is somewhat of a nightmare.

I had seen one of these back in 1976 when I worked for Curnutt Shocks and this is only the second one I have ever seen. I raced vintage for years and had not seen one.

That bike (76mx) was my first 125.(in about 79) LOVED that bike! It had long S&W shocks kinda like yours. A friend had one of those bikes too but handled better with the shorter shocks.

My next bike was a 77yz 125 Even better yet!

Ok sorry forgive my ignorance on this model . I didn't catch that it wasn't a 1976 YZ125 (yellow/black)or( White/red in Canada/Australia) . I'm a little confused on what this model was marketed as in 76 ? A longer travel option than the 75 YZ ?

or a slightly cheaper option than the Mono-shock 76 YZ ? Or was It Yamaha hedging there bet incase the Mono shock YZ's didn't sell ? Either way It's a lovely bike that 1976 paint scheme is one of my favorites .

Ok sorry forgive my ignorance on this model . I didn't catch that it wasn't a 1976 YZ125 (yellow/black)or( White/red in Canada/Australia) . I'm a little confused on what this model was marketed as in 76 ? A longer travel option than the 75 YZ ?

or a slightly cheaper option than the Mono-shock 76 YZ ? Or was It Yamaha hedging there bet incase the Mono shock YZ's didn't sell ? Either way It's a lovely bike that 1976 paint scheme is one of my favorites .

Originaly they had a shorter suspension and a SA silencer like a DT. The silencer was the first to get tossed...

Ok sorry forgive my ignorance on this model . I didn't catch that it wasn't a 1976 YZ125 (yellow/black)or( White/red in Canada/Australia) . I'm a little confused on what this model was marketed as in 76 ? A longer travel option than the 75 YZ ? or a slightly cheaper option than the Mono-shock 76 YZ ? Or was It Yamaha hedging there bet incase the Mono shock YZ's didn't sell ? Either way It's a lovely bike that 1976 paint scheme is one of my favorites .

I didn't mean it as a derogatory statement towards you. I believe your statement as the bike as a back up is not a fantasy. I have heard that exact same thing from more than one knowledgeable person. I really like the paint scheme also.