Sign in to follow this  

Washington Benton City...?

I have noticed some trails on the south side of I-90 at Benton City and I saw some bikes and quads the other day riding there. Anyone know what the story is with that area? I am guessing it is someone's private land but maybe not...?

I have noticed some trails on the south side of I-90 at Benton City and I saw some bikes and quads the other day riding there. Anyone know what the story is with that area? I am guessing it is someone's private land but maybe not...?

I-90? Isn't Benton city WAY south of that? Do you mean near Vantage?

Nope it is Benton City, just before the Tri- Cities.

When I read your post it made it sound like you were driving down I-90 and saw quads to your right. No biggy, and I have no idea if that is legal riding. Maybe someone else here is in the know.

You must be talking south of I-82 . Years and years ago there used to be a poker run held in that area so there have been existing trails for decades that I know.

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe

Past Benton City (heading East) is the Horn Rapids ORV park where some of the trails are just on the other side of the fence from the highway on the North side.

Edited by robr54

The last time I stopped there to check it out, I saw a No Trespassing/private property sign. There was a pickup parked there by the sign and they were riding on the hill. Looked like a ticket waiting to happen to me.

I lived in that area until a few months ago (Benton City) , i talked to the local Law Enforcement , and they told me it was Private Land , and only people who had written permission to ride there were allowed , anyone caught riding without a written approval from the owner of the property would be prosecuted for Tresspassing , so i never got to ride there and i lived less than a mile away , the closest Off-Road riding i could find (with the exception of Horne Rapids , which kinda sucks and is boring as crap for Off-Road riding) , is going all the way to Milton Freewater to the Harris ORV Park (not really a park , just trailheads that are used by Horses,Mountain Bikes , and Dirtbikes,and Hikers

I am back in Idaho again , where you can ride more places than you can't

But hope that answered your question

Edited by 450XJimDirt

Juniper and Mattawa are both much closer to the Tri-Cities than is Harris Park.

I do still see people riding on the hillsides above Kiona (what is being called Benton City) but I guess they do run the risk of civil prosecution. Criminal prosecution, IMO, is unlikely due to the much higher signage and warning requirements, especially since people often come in from the other side.

Edited by steve86

Pretty much everyone i have seen ride there are parking right there along side the road in the open area right by the No Trespassing signs (visible from the freeway), all i can say is what the cops told me , they said my asking and them telling me was a first warning , they would not give a second warning and to expect a ticket if i was caught there (Local Sheriff told me this) , as far as riding other area's(i was looking for single track woods riding) i was told Harris was the closest for woods type riding (i should have specified this in my post) though physically , closest to Benton City is Horne Rapids , though as i said , its pretty boring , and i dont care for the MX track there either , Juniper is more for people who like riding sand dunes (i do not) , never did go to Mattawa , but i am back in South West Idaho where riding is plentiful , without all the restrictions Wa. and Oregon have

I guess if you really want to ride there , check with the local's and find out who the owner is and get written permission and ride all you wish there , for me it was not worth the effort for as small a area it is , i would get boared after the first 20 minutes as that is about what it would take to ride the entire area at best

this topic got me curious about some other spots. one place that comes to mind is the mx track by the rest area out of Selah(south bound). the past week i have been working around upper peoh point rd, where the "test track" out of Cle Elum was supposed to be.