Sign in to follow this  

97 CR 250 changing forks springs need info

photobucket-3853-1328400478925.jpg

I still don't have a factory manual. Can you guys help me with some advice, please? I'm changing my fork springs.

Bike is a 97' CR250. I unscrewed the top cap and it looks like I have to unscrew the bottom rebound unit to get the fork tubes to seperate. Is this correct? Do need to set the clickers to a specific setting?

I'm hoping to reuse my seals and wipers because they are still working. Possible? Am I going to be able to pry them down onto the slider? Or can I seperate the tubes without damaging the seals?

What oil am I supposed to use? I've rebuilt my old 98' CR125 and 03' CRF450 forks years ago, and they had a regular pale yellow oil, meanwhile, this CR oil looks red like ATF.

Also I'd like to check oil level. Is there a factory spec? I'll check the level before draining the tubes.

Anything I should look at besides the bushings, while I'm in there?

Here's a pic of my fork with the top cap undone. I'm curious if these are the stock forks because there are vice marks on the bottom of the slider. Looks like someone removed the bottom of the leg. Might have been a switcheroo? Just want to check what you guys think.

• Like 1

Your going to want to set your clickers to the softest setting before you disassemble any further. And yes you will need to screw the top back on and then loosen the adjuster bolt on the bottom and push on the top of the fork to push the dampner rod out the bottom of the fork. Then you will need something to hold the dampner rod out while you remove the adjuster bolt on the bottom. An open end wrench will work or you can buy or make a tool. Once you have to bottom bolt out make sure you get the push rod pulled out of the fork dampner assembly so you dont accidentally damage it, then you can remove the inner cartridge and the spring will be able to be removed. As for fork oil I use maxima 5wt. Just depends on how picky you are. I have heard of people using tranny oil. Fork oil is mostly clear when new. The red stuff you have is probably ATF. Honda measure the fork oil by volume and not height in 97. Standard oil capacity is 369cc. Minium is 335cc and Max is 430cc. These voulmes are for stock springs. You shouldnt need to separate the top and bottom tubes to do the job. But your going to have to drain all the oil. Not a big deal. Your forks look just like the ones that were on my 97.

• Like 1

Keith72, thanks a ton bro.

Your going to want to set your clickers to the softest setting before you disassemble any further. And yes you will need to screw the top back on and then loosen the adjuster bolt on the bottom and push on the top of the fork to push the dampner rod out the bottom of the fork. Then you will need something to hold the dampner rod out while you remove the adjuster bolt on the bottom. An open end wrench will work or you can buy or make a tool. Once you have to bottom bolt out make sure you get the push rod pulled out of the fork dampner assembly so you dont accidentally damage it, then you can remove the inner cartridge and the spring will be able to be removed. As for fork oil I use maxima 5wt. Just depends on how picky you are. I have heard of people using tranny oil. Fork oil is mostly clear when new. The red stuff you have is probably ATF. Honda measure the fork oil by volume and not height in 97. Standard oil capacity is 369cc. Minium is 335cc and Max is 430cc. These voulmes are for stock springs. You shouldnt need to separate the top and bottom tubes to do the job. But your going to have to drain all the oil. Not a big deal. Your forks look just like the ones that were on my 97.

You think I should just go back with ATF until I do a full rebuild? Also what should I do about the top chamber? Will it just fill with oil on it's own? Thanks again

Edited by MXHalofan

I suppose if it was atf in there to begin with it would probably be ok. Not the best but ok. The oil in the top/inner chamber will not drain out unless you remove the cap from the inner chamber. On these forks the inner and outer oil never mix. You have to change both separately.

Got it bud, thanks. Your info really helped big. Soon as I read it, I got started.

Got em together now. First one took a while, second one took two mins. LOL Just like every other pair I've done.

I just wanted to see if anybody ELSE knew how to do it. :smirk: