Losing 300ml of oil every 100 miles

So I've noticed a little smoking on my xr250r and decided to measure how much oil I use. It turns out I use 300ml of oil every 100 miles of simple street riding. It smokes a tad when hammering it in gear and I drip a drop in the garage once a week from the oil tube that goes to the valve cover.

Am I destined for a rebuild anytime soon? I did a search and saw that people weren't too worried about a quart of oil every 200 miles but that was with an XR400 being used for trails.

Loss of oil in any amount should be a concern. Smoking is a sure fire sign

of it being time for a rebore and new Piston and rings. 4 strokes are not

supposed to smoke at all,,specially not blue or white smoke. Bit of blacks alright,

just means it's running too rich., Find a huge long downhill and run down it

at about 80ks with the bike in gear say,,5th,,don't use any throttle in the downhill run.

When it gets a bit slow or near the bottom twist the throttle and at the same time

look behind you..Smoke coming out the exhaust means either rebore and Piston

and rings or and the valve seals are shot,.and or the valve guides are shot.

Edited by Horri

Loss of oil in any amount should be a concern. Smoking is a sure fire sign

of it being time for a rebore and new Piston and rings. 4 strokes are not

supposed to smoke at all,,specially not blue or white smoke. Bit of blacks alright,

just means it's running too rich., Find a huge long downhill and run down it

at about 80ks with the bike in gear say,,5th,,don't use any throttle in the downhill run.

When it gets a bit slow or near the bottom twist the throttle and at the same time

look behind you..Smoke coming out the exhaust means either rebore and Piston

and rings or and the valve seals are shot,.and or the valve guides are shot.

Yup, any gear as soon as I hit the throttle I get a puff of blue smoke.

That is good advice,on the other hand.Lots of riders in Baja I see riding there xrs for years,they just add oil and keep going.You did not say what year your 250 is.If its 96 to 04 they do have a intake valve problem.

It's a 1998, and I was CONSTANTLY adjusting the intake valves when I had that Hot Cam in there like you told me I would be. Now that I'm on a stock cam they haven't moved a bit.

A new piston shouldn't be that expensive normally, but APPARENTLY my bike has already been bored out to 300cc. I haven't confirmed, but I guess when I finally rebuild I can verify. I would believe it does since it has power that you would not expect from an air cooled engine. I've ridden a DRZ400 after my XR and the DRZ felt like a complete slug in comparison, just no torquey power like the XR. Will the fact that it's already bored out big be a problem? What extra will I have to do?

Edited by gabechroust

Yup, any gear as soon as I hit the throttle I get a puff of blue smoke.

It's a 1998, and I was CONSTANTLY adjusting the intake valves when I had that Hot Cam in there like you told me I would be. Now that I'm on a stock cam they haven't moved a bit.

A new piston shouldn't be that expensive normally, but APPARENTLY my bike has already been bored out to 300cc. I haven't confirmed, but I guess when I finally rebuild I can verify. I would believe it does since it has power that you would not expect from an air cooled engine. I've ridden a DRZ400 after my XR and the DRZ felt like a complete slug in comparison, just no torquey power like the XR. Will the fact that it's already bored out big be a problem? What extra will I have to do?

Honestly it sounds like your gonna have to take it apart and see what you got in there. You never know, maybe you can get by with rings and a hone job.