Sign in to follow this  

Nicotine!

Well, finally TRYING to kick the habit. I won't say its BECAUSE of getting back into riding, but it was fuel to the already growing fire. I have been dipping for yearssss....(less than 10) lol...However, for a while I have been kinda find it to be more of a chore then a habit, long sick of it.

Think I finally have the motivation, I mean I feel like my blood circulation sucks...my hands get cold sooo fast on cold days, and take a while to warm up. Now with gettin back into ridin bikes, and all the work and $ i been puttin into my current bike, I just wanna get the most out of it, and dippin dont fit that.

My question is, anyone who has quit a SERIOUS nicotine habit, I am not talking about I smoke when i drink. I dip from within 45mins after I get up in the morning, til damn near that at night, and 90% of the time in between...I can even EAT some stuff and dip. Iron gutting dip isnt a thing to me, as its more of a norm. Though I think my brains to a point of I dont have to spit when i dip, cuz im so used to it I dont get all salivated up.

As you can see, I should quit before its too late...if it isnt already...and my goal is to do it, before im 30...which will be in a couple months.

My plan right now....bought the 4mg gum, since will allow me to stay jaw busy, lol...and get a lil nicotine. The package says somethin about 12 weeks....i plan to be done WAY before that. I intend to chew a piece when absolutely needed...im at wits end, or im bout to flip out...i got regular gum for the rest of the time. Go from there....any tips? I really dont wanna hear bout the cancer I could very well have looming in my future, Im not interested in chantix or patches or w/e...i need the chewing action, I think my dip habit was more about having one in then the nicotine!

So just I guess a little trick that helped you kick cigs, but mainly dip if you did it.

You know one of the things that appealed to me with dippin over the years was....hands free. I mean it wasnt hand to mouth or w/e that smokers had that gets me, which these double as help wise. I also do not plan to be doing any nicotine in 2 months period. I think if i put my mind to it, I can be DONE done in 1-2 months tops. I dont mean done to the point if i see someone doing it, I wont want to....but done to the point I dont wake up...eat breakfast (or dont if im late) and immediately throw a dip in, and ultimately keep from doing it...

Whoa...this is a topic that unfortunately I know WAY too much about. Started smoking at 14, chewing at 20. Quit chewing in 1996 (26 years old) cold turkey...SERIOUSLY sucked...can you say male PMS? Unfortunately started back up in 2003 when I was around all the contractors building my first home. Quit a year ago last October, just to start up again this past August. Patches were the only thing that worked for me. The nicotine gum and lozenges were too much like chew, giving me that quick hit I wanted (confirmed by my doc). Took me 5 months to wean of the patches all together. I NEVER spit and like to think I have an iron gut, but my bowls tend to disagree.

All in all, IMO, the BEST way to quit is to use patches and ditch ANYONE who chews or smokes. I have really close friends that chew and that was ultimately the reason I broke. Wasn't their fault, but I just could only take so much agony before I had to ask for one.

Good luck. I hope you kick it.

Yea its nasty stuff Moscow...I mean, why did the patches work? Cuz the gum was to instantaneous like you said? I already notice I chew the gum like a madman and A) the good of it wears off quick, and :smirk: the gum is crap...taste horrible and the texture sucks.

Chewed for 27 years. At least a can a day gutting Copenhagen. I literally tried EVERYTHING (gum, patches, Zyban, cold turkey, etc.) to quit. Nothing ever lasted more than a couple of days. I came across this site (www.whyquit.com) surfing one night. Read about what I was up against. Gave up chew the next day and have been off since. I will tell you the first few days were horrible. There is NOTHING easy about giving up nicotine. No matter what anyone says. No product, drug, or literature will make it easier. Knowledge of addiction and how to get through it finally helped me kick it.

Good luck

I will have to say....I can't totally buy that its horrible. I went all day today, chewed just 3 pieces of this nasty nicotine gum, and a few pieces of regular gum....and I felt like I barely missed having a dip. Now I'd be lying if I didn't check my pocket to see if I had it with me a couple times, or think about throwin one in (especially in the morning, and after eating). All in all I am fine right now without it.

It could be that I was just so sick of doing it. Gotta have it with me all the time, need a spitter since I dont gut it if i dont HAVE to, then theres the amount of time I have to talk to people throughout the day, worryin I mighta had it all up in my teeth lol. Just got old. I hope every day is this easy. Bout 28hrs dip free, lol...

I actually thought id be flyin off the handle, and I actually don't even feel anymore angry then normal...road rage happens with or without dip when ya drive much as I do for work, and people cut you off 3 times an hour, LOL!!!

Can't say I wasnt hardcore either and thats why it seems easy for me. I have chewed for 9yrs, gut it a lot of the time, can eat drink, etc while I chewing, sheit I used to chew while drinking beer and having a cig if i was at a party, haha. I dont chew a can a day but I would keep one in kinda long and add "refreshers". Just dunno, guess I was just ready!

Whoa...this is a topic that unfortunately I know WAY too much about. Started smoking at 14, chewing at 20. Quit chewing in 1996 (26 years old) cold turkey...SERIOUSLY sucked...can you say male PMS? Unfortunately started back up in 2003 when I was around all the contractors building my first home. Quit a year ago last October, just to start up again this past August. Patches were the only thing that worked for me. The nicotine gum and lozenges were too much like chew, giving me that quick hit I wanted (confirmed by my doc). Took me 5 months to wean of the patches all together. I NEVER spit and like to think I have an iron gut, but my bowls tend to disagree.

All in all, IMO, the BEST way to quit is to use patches and ditch ANYONE who chews or smokes. I have really close friends that chew and that was ultimately the reason I broke. Wasn't their fault, but I just could only take so much agony before I had to ask for one.

Good luck. I hope you kick it.

Forgot on this one. I won't ditch my friends who dip, lol...and I barely have any friends who smoke or chew to begin with. My good friend where I go riding at his house up north...he always gets mad when I come up there cuz i'd dip in front of em, and he'd always break down and have one, LOL! Probably why hes pushin me to quit too, lol!

The easy way by allan carr is frickn nuts....works miracles no joke!!