Sign in to follow this  

spinning subframe insert need help

the threaded insert on the subframe that the right side lower side panel bolt threads into is stripped and spins(former owner) i dont want too replace the sub frame ... any ideas would be greatly appreciated 2001 xr 650r

Edited by dub250

Taken from the Pig Pen - http://www.xr650r.us/

Here's a trick on how to remove these stripped inserts, as given by Gene Lane, Ironman from the 2006 Baja 1000:

I just replaced 2 fenders and most of mine were stuck. I drill a hole right into the sub frame just off to the side of the insert and drive a sheet metal screw up against it as tight as possible. If this doesn't work use a bigger screw. If that don't work drill a second hole on the other side of the insert and wedge a 2nd screw against it. It will usually come off with one screw. Then when you put the new one on don;t put it to tight. Use some silicone around the top of the screw to keep it from loosening. Its worked everytime for me

all the threads have beenpulled by said pryor owner i really need to replace it and make it right (according to my o.c.d. voices in my head)

How about drilling out the old insert and installing an anchor nut. You might have to drill 2 small holes for rivets to hold the anchor nut cage in the subframe.

I know it been some time but I have same issue how did you make out??

I just discovered this on my xr650r. It's the lower, right side bolt that holds the side panel on. The insert is just spinning. Is there any solution for this?

I just discovered this on my xr650r. It's the lower, right side bolt that holds the side panel on. The insert is just spinning. Is there any solution for this?

im pretty sure 80 percent of the xr650s have this problem... i used some jbweld and put it around the insert and on the subframe. held up for a couple months... last time i tightened the bolt it spined... soo next time i take it off i have to figure something better out

I managed to bugger up the insert with a drill trying to get the bolt out. I'm pretty sure ill have to drill the insert out and figure out something to replace it with.

Can you buy that type of insert? Any idea what they are called.

I managed to bugger up the insert with a drill trying to get the bolt out. I'm pretty sure ill have to drill the insert out and figure out something to replace it with.

Can you buy that type of insert? Any idea what they are called.

Most machine shops can replace them you can get them from Fastenal dont know what they are called find a store near you take subframe to them

I ended up talking it to a BMW motorcycle store near my house. They had the metric inserts and installed one for me. Hopefully good as new.