Sign in to follow this  

How to remove chrome/nickel plating on pipe?

I like that factory look as well. Does have a downside though. Rust. You have to keep it clean & moisture free or it will look like crap. I clean mine after every ride & put some wd40 on a rag & wiper er down. It does burn off next time you run your bike & may smell a bit & smoke a bit as well if you apply to much wd. Its worth the extra effort to me for the look I like. I stripped mine over a year ago & it still looks great. I used a stiff wire wheel & electric drill (took hours & sore hands) after treating it will a aircraft type stripper available at most auto parts stores.

Couldn't you just sandblast it? Simple and cheap. In fact, the local machine shop let's me sandblast for free, but I always throw them $10 or $20.

Stripping the plating will cost nearly as much as just buying an unplated pipe.

Couldn't you just sandblast it? Simple and cheap. In fact, the local machine shop let's me sandblast for free, but I always throw them $10 or $20.

Sandblasting won't remove the plating, it will just make it look like crap.

if i wire brush the paint off of a stock pipe would it look like the raw factory pipe?

No, it will have all the scratches from the wire brush, and crappy looking welds.