Sign in to follow this  

95 yamaha YZ250 clutch problems!

I have a 95' yamaha yz250

whats wrong is when I pull myclutch in to gear down to first (starting in neutral) It will lurch forward as if im not using the clutch at all. this si the same for every gear except neutral.

there is no slop in my clutch lever or the line, pulls in completely, but the clutch doesnt engage very well.

are my friction plates or pressure plate shot? how much am I looking at to replace this?

First, check that when you pull the cable, the clutch actuating arm down on the engine moves. If not, you have a broken cable. There is a remote chance something in the pushrod system is broken, but that's not very common.

It could be as simple as... if it's been a long time (1+ months) since you started your bike, the plates could just be temporarily "stuck" together. Start the bike and let it run for a minute or two while holding in the lever. This will get oil in between the plates.

More likely though.... you have a grooved basket and/or inner hub. The plates hang-up on these grooves and won't separate enough to allow the clutch to dis-engage. Remove the clutch plates and inspect the basket and hub for grooving. This instructions for disassembly and inspection are all detailed in your owners manual.

As for cost, new plates will run you about $100, and a basket and hub would run you $300-$400 new. Your best bet would be to scour ebay for some good used replacements.

Same happend to my 98 250. If the grooves in the basket is very bad then replace but try and file out the grooves and give it a go.