Sign in to follow this  

Time required to replace water pump?

Coolant started leaking on my DRZ400S, local bike shop says we have to replace the whole water pump. First they said it would be ~$160, then they "revised" the estimate to ~$500 for parts and labor. Trying to figure out if I want to work on this myself or if they gave a reasonable estimate.

Working on it myself is kind of a pain given that I don't have a garage/driveway, bike stand, truck or ramp.

Well, I just had the side cover and clutch off in the motel parking lot to remove broken bits of shift return spring. Took about an hr. Water pump comes off with the side cover and is easier than removing the clutch. Yourself or a shop should be no more than 1 hr. No special tools. Drain and reuse sump oil and coolant. Parts - water pump and side cover gasket. Pretty simple.

• Like 1

11482-29F00 New side cover gasket $11

17400-29F00 New water pump $107

New oil $16.00

New coolant $11

$155 in parts

1 hour labor $80 (or so)

$235 plus taxes, and “Shop Charge” Figure about $20

$255.00

You do not need a shop for this. If you can turn a screw driver and ¼ ratchet.

Scrape gasket from an aluminum cover, drain and pour in oil and coolant,, you can do this.

Even if you had to buy the tools (another $50 if you needed everything) You would be $$$ and time ahead over taking it to a dealer.

You want to know how simple this task is (not a flame on you, but against the "dealer")

Im in Afghanistan, you sit at your computer. I'll walk you though part purchase at the above prices in 60 min or less.

It will take 7-10 days to get the parts.... you pick a day, I work 7 day a week, 19-20 hours a day, so I’m always on here... Take a lap top out to the work area.. We could walk you through the exact bolt by bolt process, in 60 min or less...to have the water pump cover and side cover off.

You take an hour to clean it up... and

in 60 min or less you can have it back together.. add another 30 min to get er filled up, air burped from the cooling system and you'll be ready to start and leak check.

And you don’t need me to do that .. cuz it's that simple.. read though the process in a manual.. many here can point you to threads and pictures of the various parts... look um up and read while waiting on parts..

When you’re done you'll look back and never understand why the dealer wanted $500 for the job, or why you were worried.

• Like 2

11482-29F00 New side cover gasket $11

17400-29F00 New water pump $107

New oil $16.00

New coolant $11

$155 in parts

1 hour labor $80 (or so)

$235 plus taxes, and “Shop Charge” Figure about $20

$255.00

You do not need a shop for this. If you can turn a screw driver and ¼ ratchet.

Scrape gasket from an aluminum cover, drain and pour in oil and coolant,, you can do this.

Even if you had to buy the tools (another $50 if you needed everything) You would be $$$ and time ahead over taking it to a dealer.

You want to know how simple this task is (not a flame on you, but against the "dealer")

Im in Afghanistan, you sit at your computer. I'll walk you though part purchase at the above prices in 60 min or less.

It will take 7-10 days to get the parts.... you pick a day, I work 7 day a week, 19-20 hours a day, so I’m always on here... Take a lap top out to the work area.. We could walk you through the exact bolt by bolt process, in 60 min or less...to have the water pump cover and side cover off.

You take an hour to clean it up... and

in 60 min or less you can have it back together.. add another 30 min to get er filled up, air burped from the cooling system and you'll be ready to start and leak check.

And you don’t need me to do that .. cuz it's that simple.. read though the process in a manual.. many here can point you to threads and pictures of the various parts... look um up and read while waiting on parts..

When you’re done you'll look back and never understand why the dealer wanted $500 for the job, or why you were worried.

This is an amazing reply.

Thank you to everyone that responded. This is what I needed to hear. I didn't want to jump to accusing the shop... but I'll definitely be doing the work myself in this case.

• Like 1