Sign in to follow this  

Best cheap bike

What would be a good bike to look for under $750? I want to take it in the mud on some really brutal trails, as in I will be amazed if it survives. Depending on the bike I might restore it after I get back from the trip or just part it out. There's one I'm looking at specifically right now because it is the biggest that is in working condition that's in my price range at the moment. It's a 1985 rm 125 that's in fairly decent condition for $700. Is there anything good or bad I should know about the bike?

Edited by TheRider

“brutal trails”... a 125 2-stroke could be miserable unless you are one heck of a rider. Something like an XR 200 might be a better choice if you are really talking about technical riding. But at your budget, go with the best bike you can find. Might take some patience to snag the right bike.

CoKTM

“brutal trails”... a 125 2-stroke could be miserable unless you are one heck of a rider. Something like an XR 200 might be a better choice if you are really talking about technical riding. But at your budget, go with the best bike you can find. Might take some patience to snag the right bike.

CoKTM

Well I have till May long weekend but the sooner the better. And I want it to be a 2-stroke because it will be cheaper to restore after if I choose to do so and I just prefer 2-strokes. I don't mean like tight and rocky trails it's more of deep mud that's really easy to get stuck in. I will just get a good start and hydroplane by all the 4x4 quads. :smirk:

Ya, and make sure you put helium in the tires. I hear that helps with the hydroplaning

My buddy just picked up an 03 ktm 200mxc for $900. You just got to be patient and ask around. If somebody has a bike thay rarely use, just throw out a number. You may be surprised.

browse craigslist for bikes up to $1200 bucks, if you see one you like, you can always make a offer.

sometimes it says $1,000 O.B.O, they might accept $750 cash.

Ya, and make sure you put helium in the tires. I hear that helps with the hydroplaning

You couldn't put helium in the tires it would leak out because it is thinner than normal air. I guarantee it would not do anything to help hydroplaning.

1985 rm125's were so top end power oriented, they would not be any fun on muddy, slick trails. I had an 84 &85 rm125 and they needed port work for trailriding, even then they were still "pipey"

You can find 2001'ish YZ426's for around a grand.. maybe less. May be worth taking a look at