Sign in to follow this  

Woodruff key slightly loose?

I just got a new Hot Rods crank for my YZ125. It didn't come with a flywheel key so I tried using the one from my stock crank (brand new). It's just loose enough that it will fall out if I spin the crank with the flywheel off, though there's not much side-to-side movement.. I bought a new one (Yamaha), same thing. If I put them back in the OEM crank they fit nice and tight. I went to the auto part store and they only keep US sizes so nothing is even close to fitting.

Any suggestion?

Ideally there should be no side to side movement... Use just enough Loctite 660 in the keyway to fill the gap (degrease the key and keyway first), put on the flywheel, torque it down, and set your timing. Loctite 660 is formulated for woodruff keyways, and it supposedly won't glue your flywheel onto your crank, but still, try not to get excessive with the application.

Thanks. I did some research on Loctite 660 and it seems like it would be a bitch to remove if I ever need to replace the key in the future. What do you think?

You could just heat it up the key with a MAPP torch (using a wet rag to keep heat from seal), then knock it out with a drift or pull it out with vice grips.