Sign in to follow this  

96 rm250 clutch not disengaging

New clutch basket, discs and friction plates....and clutch is not fully disengaging. I have read alot of threads describing this similar problem and have read alot of threads that have multiple theories and suggestions, BUT i have NOT read any threads that have said, "this was what I did and it solved the problem". One guy wrote, "Swap out your discs (metal and friction) and springs, and install a kit for a KX250." He claimed it was the only sure fire move. ANy experience fellas?

Do your clutch plate seperate when you pull in the clutch lever? Have you checked this with the cover off. I know you are looking for the direct answer but there is rarely a dirct answer. That is why we call it trouble shooting. You did not mention if you oiled each disc as you put them in. You did not mention that there is pressure felt in the clutch lever when pulling it in. You did not mention if it worked before you took it apart. I would suggest that the clutch basket has grooves preventing the discs from seperating but you have a new basket. Give us some more info on what you did.

thanks for replying mark...bike is new to me. previous owner had replaced the clutch. then the bike sat and sat and sat. I brought it home and clutch would not disengage. pulled the cover off. all the plates were not seperating. pulled the plates wiped them down with clean rag and then oiled them with honda transmission oil. put them back in. tightened the springs just snug (no torque wrench...if anything on the loose side cuz of poor previous poor seperation). actuated clutch and plates seperated uniformally throughout basket. but still significant drag. pulled stator cover off and confirmed that clutch lever is fully turning actuator. what else is left? pushrod or plates are too old and too cold?

The clutch will always drag a bit. Did you adjust the cable so that there is only like a quarter of an inch of free play? The plates will not evenly separate but they do need room to be able to. As long as the gap created be pulling the lever in is big enough to give the plates room to move, you should be OK. Are both clutch baskets new or just one of them? I assumed you replaced the basket. You might want to check for grooves if someone else claimed to have changed the basket. If there are any grooves at all, the plates and discs will hang up and not disengage.

The clutch will not "fully" disenguage. At least not like it's in neutral. There is always a small amount of friction. I find my 02 works a little better when warmed up.

The actuation arm that is accessed inside the ignition cover is most likely the culprit. You will find that it is worn badly. The rod that this arm engages is also possibly bad or worn. I replaced all of these ( they are cheap ) on my 96 and my clutch works like new. Improper cable adjustment is usually what destroys these items. There has to be a certain amount of freeplay, and if these items are adjusted too tight they will be in constant contact, wearing them quickly.

Jcats fix is about the only thing I have not tried on my 2000. Could be the fix. ( Did not try the KX parts. )

My final fix was the installation of a Revloc clutch. Works fine now.

Doug