Sign in to follow this  

KX250 (06) Inconsistant shifting

Recently, we had a chain break (after a roller guide came off) and brought the bike to a halt. After that, the bike does not consistently shift from 1st or neutral to 2nd while the bike is stopped. Once the bike finally shifts into 2nd, it will shift all the way through the gears. When the bike is running, the bike shifts consistently shifts fine. Thoughts before I begin exploratory surgery???

guessing a bend shift fork or shaft or bad bearing. Possible chipped gear.

Try a different tranny oil. I always used the HP Honda tranny fluid in all my 2 strokes.

You may want to check the star wheel that bolts on to the end of the shift drum, if that gets loose it can cause wierd shifting but there is a chance of a bent shift fork too.

Ed

I'm going to guess that something is either bent, broken or loose in the gear box after the chain jammed up. Take it apart before it costs you more money then it should.

So when the engine is running the bike shifts fine? But when the engine isnt running it wont shift? Is that what you are saying?

If stopped=bike running with clutch in, and running =actually riding it, then your clutch is dragging.