Pulling the trigger on 2012 rmz450

Ok Im going down to buy a 2012 rmz 450 this week. What do you all think of mods for full on Outdoor mx racing Vet expert style. Suspension a given for my weight. Please give me your thoughts on 20mm offset, rg3 linkage, high comp piston, pipe or other mods you have found usefull. Thanks

I'd say say suspension and grips. That's it.

It's race ready out of the box-other than the suspension. That engine is amazing.

+1 this is a very effective machine out of the box, and can be quite competitive even with stock suspension (provided you set your sag and add/drain oil from forks til you get the feel you are comfortable with)... sorry i cant give you much for mods since i have ridden the bike (2011) pretty much stock...

As many mention above, the bike out of the box is great. But once you get the suspension right for you, and if you have the money, I would do these things in order:

1. New exhaust - the stocker is stupid heavy

2. 20mm clamps - bike carves better and settles down a bit in fast straights

3. RG3 linkage - really settles the back of the bike down, although this will also be influenced by your suspension set-up.

Good luck. You're going to love the bike.

They are 21.5. I'm always surprised by how much of a difference 1-2mm makes, but it certainly is an improvement.

interesting, i agree that 1mm will change the geometry quite a bit, im curiose if it makes the bike nervouse?

Edited by funkinalive

interesting, i agree that 1mm will change the geometry quite a bit, im curiose if it makes the bike nervouse?

No, it will give you a bit more stability. I notice the difference on high speed sections and fast, sweeping corners - easier to hold a line.

I put my 20mm RG3 clamps from my 09 on my 2012. You have to mak a simple little bracket for the front number plate as the stem length is longer on the 2012 and the plate doesn't line up with the bolt hole. The 20mm clamps are better on the 2012. I'm going to swap the RG3 rear linkage and test it next with the stock shock. Then I'm send my suspension off to RG3.

I swaped over my Dr. D stanless pipe from the 09 to the 12 and that made big difference.

Finally I swaped my braided steel brake line and that made a real improvement in the front brake.

The only other thing I did was take the Zeta folding levers of the 09 and put them on the 12.

Love my 2012. Best bike I have ever owned.

I put my 20mm RG3 clamps from my 09 on my 2012. You have to mak a simple little bracket for the front number plate as the stem length is longer on the 2012 and the plate doesn't line up with the bolt hole. The 20mm clamps are better on the 2012. I'm going to swap the RG3 rear linkage and test it next with the stock shock. Then I'm send my suspension off to RG3.

I swaped over my Dr. D stanless pipe from the 09 to the 12 and that made big difference.

Finally I swaped my braided steel brake line and that made a real improvement in the front brake.

The only other thing I did was take the Zeta folding levers of the 09 and put them on the 12.

Love my 2012. Best bike I have ever owned.

Ditto on the brake line and Dr. D exhaust. I got a great deal on the titanium version and drop significant weight. How is the RG3 suspension working out? They have the bike dialed.

Haven't got a chance to run 20mm clamps on my '12 yet, but have had good experiences in the past.

Running a full Ti Yosh RS4 system which woke the bike up significantly, but on pretty much any outdoor track it's lacking some top end. Going to play with gearing over the next two weeks, if that doesnt resolve the lack of top end, cams will be the next item tested.

I prefer to not run the linkage, Suzuki engineered this bike to turn on a dime, there is no need for a linkage in my eyes.

Not mentioned(that I saw at least)

Ditch the stock hot start for a metal one or you won't have one after you fall.

The stock levers bend if you look at them wrong

The stock grips and throttle tube might as well be considered one piece, order a throttle tube if you plan on changing your grips

Play with the 3 plugs the bike comes with to see which you like the best for your riding style.

I prefer to not run the linkage, Suzuki engineered this bike to turn on a dime, there is no need for a linkage in my eyes.

The linkage doesn't address turning...It's to settle the rear. The clamps address turning.

The stock levers bend if you look at them wrong

Actually, they snap in half.

The new site isn't very user-friendly.

Edited by rickk

Thanks for the tips. One last thing or couple, lol. on these 2012 do you go up a tooth for outdoor mx or leave gearing stock. Also i have always run 120's on my 450's.These come with 110 size rear do you guys switch out the rear 110 to 120 on the suzuki. Thanks

gearing stock for outdoor, one to two teeth up for indoor. 110 is a much better choice for mx

I have some ??. I have a 2011kx450 but have been looking at the rmz again ( I tried to buy one last year but couldn`t find one). I`m 50 and slow. I love the stability and am comfortable in the air on the kx, but it feels heavy side to side and doesn`t turn very well, obviously more noticable on the tighter tracks. I`ve done the 21.5 tripple clamps and link and it helped some, have not done the susp yet. How does the 2012 rmz compare in stability? Balance in the air? I know it will turn. Sat on both bikes today at the dealer, both feel comparably tall. Does the rmz feel lighter on the track (moving)? Came off an rm250. Never felt comfortable in the air on it, but it turned great. Anyone ridden both 450`s. Thanks