Sign in to follow this  

14 tooth sprocket

Hello, have an 07 X and have been dual sporting it. Looking to gear a little taller for Big Bend later this month. What are my options with the factory chain length? Will a 14 tooth work? Or do I need to go down to 48-49 to keep stock chain.

Thanks.

I can concur, I go back and forth between a 13 and 14 depending on what I'm doing. This weekend is the 14 for the Four Aces National Hare & Hound. End of the month is a DS ride In Anza Borrego and the 14 will be on for that.

I can concur, I go back and forth between a 13 and 14 depending on what I'm doing. This weekend is the 14 for the Four Aces National Hare & Hound. End of the month is a DS ride In Anza Borrego and the 14 will be on for that.

Exactly what I do.

But I have a 49 in the rear.

While we are on the subject: is a 15/51 feasible? And what would be the effects?

While we are on the subject: is a 15/51 feasible? And what would be the effects?

The first thing you will have to do is grind your case saver down to fit a 15t. Im guessing you will also need a longer chain (not sure). I run a 15/47 or 15/48 for desert or baja sometimes.

The first thing you will have to do is grind your case saver down to fit a 15t. Im guessing you will also need a longer chain (not sure). I run a 15/47 or 15/48 for desert or baja sometimes.

X2 :smirk: Great gearing for wide open Baja or So Cal deserts. It takes about 10min. to shave the case saver with a bench mounted grinding wheel. Do it and let her rip!

RAK

Hello, have an 07 X and have been dual sporting it. Looking to gear a little taller for Big Bend later this month. What are my options with the factory chain length? Will a 14 tooth work? Or do I need to go down to 48-49 to keep stock chain.

Thanks.

I ran a 14 tooth with stock rear at big bend last month and it was a very good setup. Gives you a little more mph for the 25 miles of pavement when heading to the park.

river road west and east is a good warm up. Old ore road is fun too, little more challenging as is black gap road.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BIBE_map1_2007.pdf

the 14 tooth clears the stock guard, I am running a tusk guard and the chain links kissed it just a touch but now it is worn to fit :bonk:

I'll tell you if I had to do it all over again (got too much into my chain and NEW rear 48 tooth sprocket right now), I would go back to stock rear 51 and a 14 tooth front for desert stuff, then would drop to the 13T front for everything else. With my 14/48 combo I'm almost at the end of my chain adjustment towards the swingarm, so I don't know if I could get away with a 13tooth as-is. (anyone want to swap out a low hour Moose 48 tooth for a like shape 51 tooth)?

Edited by mikesbaron

Towards the swingarm or away from? Adjustment front or back? With the stock chain length i could run a 15/48 and 13/48!

13/48 works just fine with the stock chain. Yes, it is near the end of adjustment. Since a good quality chain will only stretch a little at first and then be cool untill it is worn out, I don't figure I need a lot of adjustability.