Sign in to follow this  

CR480R rebuild from "Is it vintage"

Well I finally did the tear down and much to my surprise it wasn't that bad... heres acouple pics

1325548470.jpg

1328609070.jpg

1328609161.jpg

1328609198.jpg

1328609237.jpg

In the last pic it shows it must of needed a crank at one point, repair looks good tho.

parts that are getting ordered today.... stem bearings, clutch cable, fork seals, fork and shock springs, wheel bearings, clutch fibers and springs, top end kit, gasket set, all seals, front and rear tubes, spark plugs, air filter and front brake pads

I'm gona hold off on suspension revalve for now, looking into the 1987 CR250 front end swap. Is there a rear shock swap without buying new for $800?

Looks like a nice repair imo too. What is that box on the frame? The CDI unit? it does not look like a ignition coil but i can see the spark plug??? keep the pictures comming.

I'm glad I tore it down, I was half tempted to throw a piston in and ride. But the crank seal on clutch side had the lips rolled when it was put together last, two clutch springs were broke, and shifter seal was damaged...other than that and a std bore piston the engine was good. All the swing are pivots are good...wheel and stem bearings were rough and forks leaking but all in all I'm happy

It looks great! I've tried to rescue bikes that looked a lot worse than that! So, top end was OK? Are you going to split the cases and check inside or just hope for the best?

Well with no evidence of any mechanial failures, shifts fine and all the visable (clutch cover off and all seals out) engine and trans bearings are good so I'm gona leave it sealed. The top end was good, jug and head are perfect....normal piston wear.

OEM from TT parts store...air filter, clutch cable, engine seals and gasket set, clutch parts = $150

Ebay... STD piston kit = $165

Race tech... springs, seals, oil = $270

local auto parts store... stem and wheel bearings, spark plug = $40-60

I know this is just a basic starting point and just getting it to the point of riding. After all this is done I'll have to do more with suspension, plastics/tank, bars and levers. I really don't want to put more than $1200 or so in it....not sure I'd be able to sell it to get my money back if needed.

Looks good! The 87 forks are so much better, but you have to go with a disk front brake (which puts the bike in a different class and hurts the value). I raced mine on Sunday with a right side 87 fork and 83 left fork and it worked very well, The stockers just don't have enough high speed rebound or compression dampening. If I had the extra $160 laying around, I would just put in Racetech cartridge emulators in. According to most racers, this is the ideal setup.

Edit- Forget the front drum comment, looks like the bike was already converted to disk. Who knows, it may already be an 87 front end. Take the caps off the forks, if the rod is still connected to the cap, they are cartridge (87 or 88). If the cap comes right off, they are open type.

Edited by gorgon

I would love to know if you can put the 87 internals in the 83 lowers.