Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket size

Anyone know how small a rear sprocket you can fit on an S using the stock chain and the 15T cs? I want to get some extra MPGs and have another dirt wheelset with better gearing.

Thanks,

Matt

Not sure why you think higher gearing will improve fuel mileage. It takes a certain amont of horse power to go a certain speed. Sometimes gearing up will help, sometimes not. What is your mileage now? What is your gearing now?

I consistantly get 60 mpg with 15/47 gearing.

Not sure why you think higher gearing will improve fuel mileage. It takes a certain amont of horse power to go a certain speed. Sometimes gearing up will help, sometimes not. What is your mileage now? What is your gearing now?

I consistantly get 60 mpg with 15/47 gearing.

+1 to that. On my DL650 V-Strom I went up a tooth on the CS sprocket. From the stock 15 to a 16. The engine was less busy at speed, but I saw no improvement in MPG. In fact, with the 16 tooth sprocket I would lose MPG when riding 2-up or with luggage. I ended up going back to the 15 tooth CS sprocket.

I run 15/47 on my S model. But I get 50 MPG. It had a 14/44 combo on it when I got it. So I don't know if 15/44 would yield better MPG for me or not. I suspect it would. But I like the 15/47 as a good compromise between on and off-road gearing.

42 is probably the smallest without a new chain. I went 41, and a new chain and the difference on the freeway from the stock 44 is nice. I didn't do it for mpg though, just to lower rpm's / buzziness. I think 42 might be the sweet spot though, at times at low speed first gear requires a lot of clutch work....

+1 to that. On my DL650 V-Strom I went up a tooth on the CS sprocket. From the stock 15 to a 16. The engine was less busy at speed, but I saw no improvement in MPG. In fact, with the 16 tooth sprocket I would lose MPG when riding 2-up or with luggage. I ended up going back to the 15 tooth CS sprocket.

I run 15/47 on my S model. But I get 50 MPG. It had a 14/44 combo on it when I got it. So I don't know if 15/44 would yield better MPG for me or not. I suspect it would. But I like the 15/47 as a good compromise between on and off-road gearing.

15/47 and 14/44 result in virtually the same ratio.

i have had various sprocket combinations and i have never noticed any difference in gas mileage. around 57, no matter which combination.

15/47 and 14/44 result in virtually the same ratio.

Yep. I went with a 15/47 instead of another 14/44 combo because it's easy to find aluminum 47 tooth sprockets. Also, I can easily throw on a 14 tooth CS sprocket for dirt only riding.