Sign in to follow this  

Washington What tire for the sand flea/desert 100?

I know everyone has thier opinions, so I am just trying to get a feel from y'all if there is one tire I can get that will work for the Sand Flea at Horn rapids and work for the races in Odessa, like the desert 100 and the white knuckle?

get a soft comp tire and adjust air pressure way down in the sandy areas.Air pressure is the key to sand riding.

get a soft comp tire and adjust air pressure way down in the sandy areas.Air pressure is the key to sand riding.

I dont think a soft comp tire will hold up in Odessa?

Maxxis Desert IT rear.... tire of champions. Not sure where the Sand Flea is this year but you can air that tire down to 6 or 8 PSI for softer conditions and it will do alright.

Best pressure for the IT in Odessa is 14 - 16.

Stay away from the front version of this tire, it sucks....

Edited by SJMC_DON

At The Dez 100 Pressure is of the utmost for me, compared to what tire. After going 12 lbs on the front and a high speed(for me) flat that resulted in cracked ribs there in 2009. After the iron man and the 100 whatever tire you run is pretty much toast anyway. 2nd on not running the IT on the front. Chunked real bad for me after both days in 2010.

Maxxis on the rear for sure. Maxxis use to be on the low end of the price range for quality tires, noticed they gone up quite a bit...

I would by a soft terrain and run at the sand flea and then run what ever you have with halfway decent tread at the d100. Traction isn't really an issue there.

Run decent air pressure or invest in bibs, tubliss, tire balls, etc...

Kenda K760 rear (trackmaster II). Its a good all-around budget tire that does everything pretty well and is reletively durable; it is very similar in design to the Maxxis IT. Same as the maxxis, stay away from the front version, it sucks for a lot of reasons. For Odessa, keep at least 14psi in the rear Kenda K760. For soft terrain, you can air it down to 8-10psi no problems and get pretty decent traction. Another nice thing about the Kenda is that it is DOT legal if you need that for a dualsported bike you are getting inspected.

Kenda K775 Washougal Sticky front. I prefer the 90/100 size over the 80/100 for big bikes like my KTM 620; the larger size also seems a bit more resistant to pinch flats (more sidewall). Some people find this tire an odd choice; seems like it is a love it or hate it judging by the reactions of people I've reccomended it to, but I really like it, and it works well for me and seems to be a decent choice for a wide variety of conditons. Traction seems to get better after the initial break-in; they can have a squirmy feel when brand new, but after a couple miles of hard riding that squirm seems to go away. That seems like it is pretty typical for tires with a "sticky" compound; not just this particular tire. For Odessa, keep at least 15-16psi in it; for soft terrain you can air it down to 10psi or so without problems. This tire also has DOT legal markings on it for the dual sport crowd and lasts fairly well.

Edit- like mentioned in posts above, tire pressure is alot more important than the particular tire you choose for riding at Odessa; there are just sooo many rocks out there waiting to pinch flat you if you don't run enough pressure. I generally buy tires that work for all the other riding I do and just crank up the air pressure and live with whatever I happen to have on the bike when I go to the Dez.

Edited by dmthayer

I'd run the Maxxis Desert IT on the back for sure. Air it way down for the Sand Flea and the Frostbite/White Knuckle...air it up for the Desert 100. I like the Michelin M-12 for everything up front...just air it up for the D100

I'd run the Maxxis Desert IT on the back for sure. Air it way down for the Sand Flea and the Frostbite/White Knuckle...air it up for the Desert 100. I like the Michelin M-12 for everything up front...just air it up for the D100

+1 on this one...... :smirk: