Sign in to follow this  

suzuki Drz 125 road legal (adult rider)

i have just put a deposit on a 2009 drz 125l from a dealer and im just wondering am i too tall for the bike, i am around 5"10 and weight 9stone, and will the be bike be any good for road use due to it being converted from a off-road. ????

You're a scrawny bugger aren't you? 14 lbs per stone, 125lbs at 5'10"?

The expectations of a US rider for his street bike will tell you that a DR-Z125 doesn't belong on any street anywhere at any time. Realistically, it should do about 50-55 mph although it will be screaming with the factory gear ratio, I would bet by changing the gearing from 14/57? to 15 or 16 will make it more tolerable of higher speeds. It won't go any faster, but it won't sound like you're trying to kill it (even though you wouldn't).

I have no idea what the requirements are in Britain for making a bike street legal. The DR-Z stator does not have a lighting coil, so you'll need to buy one that has a lighting coil, I would talk to RickyStator.com and see what they have to offer. I know there is a factory issued street legal 125 from either Suzuki or Kawasaki, but they don't have the sense to import them here.

Once I'm done with all my other projects, I intend to D/S my daughter's 2003 KLX125.

Edited by Smacaroni

You're a scrawny bugger aren't you? 14 lbs per stone, 125lbs at 5'10"?

The expectations of a US rider for his street bike will tell you that a DR-Z125 doesn't belong on any street anywhere at any time. Realistically, it should do about 50-55 mph although it will be screaming with the factory gear ratio, I would bet by changing the gearing from 14/57? to 15 or 16 will make it more tolerable of higher speeds. It won't go any faster, but it won't sound like you're trying to kill it (even though you wouldn't).

I have no idea what the requirements are in Britain for making a bike street legal. The DR-Z stator does not have a lighting coil, so you'll need to buy one that has a lighting coil, I would talk to RickyStator.com and see what they have to offer. I know there is a factory issued street legal 125 from either Suzuki or Kawasaki, but they don't have the sense to import them here.

Once I'm done with all my other projects, I intend to D/S my daughter's 2003 KLX125.

lol yea im quite skinny im just worried that im gonna buy the bike and it be too small for me, the speed isnt an issue as im going to change the gearing anyway and buy a big bore kit and upjetted carb, its from a kawasaki dealer and it's completly road legal, if its too small for my height would buying a upgraded shock and forks make any difference to the seat height?

You did sit on the bike before you put a deposit on it, right? Suspension upgrades available is a well documented KX100 suspension swap (stickied thread at the top of the DR-Z forum), as far as big-bore goes, the easiest (for me the second try) was a DR200 or SP200 motor transplant, but I'm not sure how common those are in the UK.

Before you make full payment on the bike, I'd suggest taking it for a spin, even if it's only in the parking lot. I think it's a perfectly capable 'round town bike, just stay off the highways (freeways, motorways, park ways, what ever you want to call them where speeds average above 50 mph and is not perfectly flat) you really want to have a good bit extra available power when you're on a bike as you want as many means of escape from a hazard as possible, cornering and braking are two, acceleration is the third.

For 35-45 mph zones, there's plenty, when you get to 50, there's not much left and 55 as I said is maxed out. If you go to a 200 cc motor, I'd say 75 mph is really pushing it. Still not a highway bike.

Edited by Smacaroni

Suspension upgrades do not change the peg to seat height. You are on the tall side. There are things you can do to make it fit a little better, but you will always be bigger then the bike was intended for. If you like the "mini bike". Feel, it will be great, if not, this is not the bike for you. That is of course just my opinion.

True, if you've got long legs and a short torso, forget it, it's going to feel cramped. If you've got a long torso and shorter legs, you'll probably be in an acceptable, but not ideal position - the mini-bike feel.

I can ride it just fine, I'm 5'8", built like a gorilla (in almost every possible way), short legs, long arms, longer torso - perfectly comfortable.

Tom's right though, I answered the question you asked and probably not the information you wanted to know.

i didnt sit on it when i put the deposit down, im used to own a dtr125 until it got stolen and it was the perfect size but i think the drz is a little smaller, ill have to go back to the dealer before i hand over any more money and see if it is the right bike for me, i love the look of the bike and it didnt look too small when i seen it but i didnt know these were mini-bikes i just thought it was the same as a dtr so i will have to see, thanks for your advice guys ill let you know what happens next.

The DTR specs say 34.9 inch seat height vs. DR-Z @ 32 inches, so it's going to feel significantly shorter when you're standing. However, that doesn't indicate how the "rider compartment" will feel. We don't get bikes like that here, would be awesome if we did. The DR-Z has a very similar seat height to a XT/TT-R225, so if you know someone who's got one of those, take a seat and see how it feels, I'd imagine the layout would be similar, but that's no guarantee either.

The best thing you can do is try it out. Here simply having the deposit would warrant a joy ride at a dealer on a used bike. New bikes they're a little more protective of, but a used bike they'd give you the keys as long as you've got a license (or a convincing story as to why you don't have paperwork :smirk: ).

Just ask to take it for a spin, the worst they can say is no.

A ttr 225 has a bigger bike feel then the drz. (I have one, it is low to the ground, but the control layout def. feels like a big bike). Keep us posted!

Tom

When you're riding it, yes, but sitting on it when it's standing still? Ah, I don't know. All I know is I want to ride one of those DTRs that I didn't even know existed until yesterday.

We have a TT-R 225 too, good bike with an unwarranted low reputation.

The only sure fire way to know is to ride the DR-Z.

Edited by Smacaroni

i think im gonna leave the drz try and get my deposit back and go for a dtr, they are incredible bikes, just hard to find in good condition, ive never seen a ttr225 im on my provisional so i would have to do my test to get a bike over 125cc which is no good, ill let you know if the dealer gives me my deposit back, hopefully he isnt a nob lol we will see