Sign in to follow this  

alternative to OEM valves

Can anyone recommend good alternative to OEM 2 piece valves? Something to go with stock spring sets. Not looking for over sized or performance stuff. Just considering replacing OEM valves since seats are going to be cut anyway.

All I got it Hot cams stage 1 and 440 BB with 39 Fcr. Or should I just go with OEM?

I go with what i know...

Fresh OEM valves will do fine in some fresh seats cut and NEW springs and cottors.

Other then that Ferrera valves (RCH) are my non OEM choice.

Some have had luck with Wiesco

Some have had less luck with Kibble White in this motor.

None that I know of have had ANY issues with RHC valves,, none, zip..

I go with what i know...

Fresh OEM valves will do fine in some fresh seats cut and NEW springs and cottors.

Non that I know of have had ANY issues with RHC valves,, none, zip..

Do valve guides have to be replaced with Ferrera or RHC? Will new OEM spring sets work?

Edited by zaq123

Anyone see any prices on Ferrea valves? I'm not seeing them anywhere.

I have to have a valve job done before April(Stateline SM Challenge) and have ordered a couple of oem exhaust valves. If they're backordered, I will cancel and look into Wiseco, and/or Ferrea valves. I'm on a tight budget, so anything close to oem quality will work for me since I have a slow bike, and ride slow.

shoot me a email and i will set you up with the proper parts.

call your shop this morning: Going to put the head in the box, destination: Longmont, CO.

Eddie, I have a set of new seals coming in the mail (see link). They are Viton seals. Should I send them to you guys with the head or you recommend OEM? Gentleman whom I spoke on the phone said you use OEM.

link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230443625566

Edited by zaq123

I go with what i know...

None that I know of have had ANY issues with RHC valves,, none, zip..

how many issues are people having with them?

how many issues are people having with them?

With what?.

OEM? Lots when they are pushed long hours and hard use,.. None for the most part when used in a stock or mild build motor and replaced at top end rebuild time... Folks tend to see them and the springs as if it isn’t broke don’t worry when they do a top end, or a crank up build.. and it often bites them in the butt on high hour motors.

Kibble White? Lots of issues in the DRZ platform, other motors guys swear by them, drz guys swear at them... I cannot say why it happens, but I can say we see more failures with them in this motor then we should.

Ferrera valves, (used in the process of making a RHC valve) No failures that I know of in this motor platform, none at all, and yes, it is a two piece valve.. As Ron Hamp once told me, it's not that it is two piece, it's where that parting line is and who the valve is made.. The OEM ones fail commonly at the exact same spot.. for whatever reason the Ferrera ones with the parting line much farteher up the stem do not.

Weisco: Not enough info Im aware of to form an opinion.. Others may have better info.. Something I have read and not received an answer back on form the manufacture is .. Are the SS Wesico valves for the DRZ coated or uncoated? The manufactures web site is not clear on this.

Bottom line..

I know a products that works within limitations, and if those limitations are respected, no issue.

I know other brands have had issues, so I avoid them.

I know the Ferrera valves (both direct from Ferrera and RHC versions, as i have used both) work, have not failed, and if they were going to, I think they would have on one of my bikes, or one of the builds Eddie has done.. hundreds of times over compared to most any other shop… For all that I have had Eddie install Ferrera valves in my heads, or RHC valves in the last two builds…. And it is what I have recommended to others I’ve built motors for… none have had any issues.

With what?.

OEM? Lots when they are pushed long hours and hard use,.. None for the most part when used in a stock or mild build motor and replaced at top end rebuild time... Folks tend to see them and the springs as if it isn’t broke don’t worry when they do a top end, or a crank up build.. and it often bites them in the butt on high hour motors.

Kibble White? Lots of issues in the DRZ platform, other motors guys swear by them, drz guys swear at them... I cannot say why it happens, but I can say we see more failures with them in this motor then we should.

Ferrera valves, (used in the process of making a RHC valve) No failures that I know of in this motor platform, none at all, and yes, it is a two piece valve.. As Ron Hamp once told me, it's not that it is two piece, it's where that parting line is and who the valve is made.. The OEM ones fail commonly at the exact same spot.. for whatever reason the Ferrera ones with the parting line much farteher up the stem do not.

Weisco: Not enough info Im aware of to form an opinion.. Others may have better info.. Something I have read and not received an answer back on form the manufacture is .. Are the SS Wesico valves for the DRZ coated or uncoated? The manufactures web site is not clear on this.

Bottom line..

I know a products that works within limitations, and if those limitations are respected, no issue.

I know other brands have had issues, so I avoid them.

I know the Ferrera valves (both direct from Ferrera and RHC versions, as i have used both) work, have not failed, and if they were going to, I think they would have on one of my bikes, or one of the builds Eddie has done.. hundreds of times over compared to most any other shop… For all that I have had Eddie install Ferrera valves in my heads, or RHC valves in the last two builds…. And it is what I have recommended to others I’ve built motors for… none have had any issues.

i just got my head done with kibble whites because i knew they had such a good reputation for there stuff,didnt know they had a bad reputation with the drz's. aint that just my luck!

I spoke with Eddie's shop and that's what they also use, Ferrera (not RHC ones). They do use RHC Ferrera coated valves as well but I was told I would be fine with regular Ferrera they install.

I was told on the phone that these Ferrera are one piece valves

LOL, me neither ..

I did a search in the DRZ forum with the words "Kibble white" and copied the URL.

Apparently in the new software that does not work..

i see what you mean now,well where can i pick up some ferrera valves,or whichever valves you guys reccomend.looks like im swapping em out!

i see what you mean now,well where can i pick up some ferrera valves,or whichever valves you guys reccomend.looks like im swapping em out!

See the link I inserted in post #7 of this thread.