Sign in to follow this  

What to look for in a used 1998 620 LC4?

Hey Muchachos -

Hope everyone out there in thumper-cyber-space is doin' well - at least surviving this evil economy...

I have a line on a 1998 KTM 620 LC4 dual sport. $1500. if I want it. According to seller, it's got about 3000 to 5000 miles on it. Been sitting awhile, but had been fogged when put up. I just saw it, and it starts and runs no problem. Seller says the last 1000 or so are him, all off-road. Don't see any leaks. Seller says radiator cap leaks when running hot. Has a few other issues. Clutch cable needs replacing, but the cable stop where it goes in to the lever is busted. So I have not been able to ride it. Speedo cable is broken, too, so mileage is not verified. Overall in decent shape, plastics OK, (all decals off), rear brake light lense cracked, seat cover badly faded from blue to brown but not ripped. tires 40%, dirt only, so I plan on replacing. All lights work. Seller claims fork was re-valved when he got it. Says he has all paperwork for all work done to bike since new, though I have not seen it yet.

Here are my questions:

is cable perch easy to replace?

I assume clutch cable is easy to replace.(?)

Do I need to adjust suspension? Seller = 5'10", 180, Me = 6'3", 225.? If so, is it easy llike on an XR650?

Replacement radiator cap an easy thing to find?

Do speedo cables break on these @ big front end hits?

If you were me, is $1500. a decent price, assuming gearbox checks out?

Is it worth taking it to Cliff's in Norfolk, MA and have them give it the once-over? They are about 90 miles away, have P/U.

Sorry for asking dorky questions, but I've always wanted a KTM, just have very little cash right now...give me your opinions!! Thanks!!

The clutch perch is a easy fix,oem item.clutch cable is $35,mine snaped at 11k. speedo cable is $45,oem.they brake from weelieing.you will need to up grade your spring rate for your weight and riding style.racetech has your springs.$130 delivered.Radiator cap is a easy fix if thats what it is.You should look at oil and coolant for contamination,milky color.$1500 is a great price if the bike is in good shape.Remember this is not a xr or klr,it will vibrate alot compared to them,but this is a performance bike,it will RIP when uncorked.If you have the extra cash to have it gone over is great,but you can do the same your self and use the money for parts.Gutsracing makes awesome seat foam and covers for the lc4.I have one and love it.No more butt burn.RR

1500 is a fair price.

The clutch stuff is easy to fix.

I have a 97 620 RXC. I put a FCR carb on it and it made a huge difference, not sure what carb comes on the 98. I'm assuming its electric start?

I converted my bike to 17" rims(super moto) and put on a Vapor digital speedo. I took off a good working(3000 miles) speedo cable, gauges and speedo hub gear thing in the front wheel if you need them. I also have a aluminum engine (skid) pan and a nice set of rims I'm not using.

My 97 has full WP suspention. What does the 98 have?

I am 6'3" 215 pounds and I thought the suspention was a little soft for good off roading but I ride it 100% on the road so its just right. Rides like a caddy!

They do shake quite a bit, but you will get used to the vibes. if you uncork it correctly, they are a bad ass motor! You will be the envy of every DRZ400 rider! HA!

I have a good factory KTM manual for my 97. feel free to PM me if you need any info or are interested in spare parts.

Edited by adam500

Thanks, rumprump and Adam500

for the replies and the good advice. Been out of it for a while. Lost my best buddy to cancer.

Bought the bike. The '98 is a 620 with e-start and the Edelbrock QS-II. Bike's been sitting fir a long time. Fresh gas, charged it up. Starts with persistent cranking but won't stay running, more than 1/3 throttle and it dies. Thinking of replacing the carb with an FCR-41 but they're big bucks on ebay - new $625, rebuilt around $450. (keihinfcr-41.com - any experience with this guy?) Any advice on this is immensely apprec'd. Suspension is WP, brembo brakes are tired.

Bike needs some other stuff: tires, clutch cable, perch, chain, etc., probably do fork seals, but nothing major (some of the plastics are melted a few spots, but they can wait - I'm not that big on looks). Just want to get it running well and the rest is details.......I'm willing to spend a grand or more to get it dialed in.

Any advice on carb swap? Thanks. -bozot.