Sign in to follow this  

Broken clutch release arm?

So over the weekend I notice a couple drops of oil on the garage floor under my bike and tract it to what looks like the countershaft sprocket area. So I grab some tools and remove the nut and begin to pull things apart when I notice the clutch release arm is broken at the splines. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have heard of people swapping a DR650 arm in its place to shorten the clutch throw at the lever. Has anyone tried this and are you happy with the results?

Oh, and I never did find the leak. The countershaft nut was tight as hell, and when I finally got it to come loose I was pulling so hard I jerked upward and caught the back of my head on the corner of my handguards and split it wide open. :smirk: After walking in the house dripping blood everywhere the wife put the kabash on any wrenching for the rest of the day. :bonk:

i had a couple drops of oil on the floor one morning a couple months ago. pulled the CS sprocket and that appeared to be where it was originating. so, i ordered a new seal, etc.

but then i never saw any more drops and now the area behind the CS sprocket is dry as a bone.

strangeness.

the only think i can think of is that some dirt got under the seal, caused a very small leak temporarily, but then cleaned itself out and resealed. we've been riding in a lot of deep mud puddles around here lately.

can't help with the clutch arm question. i wouldn't mind having a shorter throw, though...might have to look into that DR650 arm solution, too.

you dont need a shorter throw with a righteous stunt cluch easy pull lever. you need the spacer as well for the drz. I run them on my stunt bike and drz and its the best clutch lever out there. life time warranty.

about the clutch release arm id just fix it with stock but for my stuntbike and what alot of people do is we extend them a half an inch to make the pull easier as well.

You need to wear your Helmet. I sneezed working under a car before... same affect. :smirk: But it was her car so it was ok. Sorry anyhow!

you dont need a shorter throw with a righteous stunt cluch easy pull lever. you need the spacer as well for the drz. I run them on my stunt bike and drz and its the best clutch lever out there. life time warranty.

about the clutch release arm id just fix it with stock but for my stuntbike and what alot of people do is we extend them a half an inch to make the pull easier as well.

While an easier pull would be nice I'm more interested in decreasing the length of pull. I'll most likely go with the stock arm but thought I'd see if anyone has done something different first.

I run the dr clutch arm. It makes a noticeable difference. My bike wanted to creep forward if I two-fingered the clutch with the stock arm but it fully disengages with the dr arm. I forget what year I ordered. That arm and a new clutch cable were by far the best money I've spent on the bike, bang for your buck wise anyway.