Sign in to follow this  

Kickstart gear

I found a 94 dr 350 that looks decent but the guy says it needs a clutch cable and the kickstart gear needs to be replaced. How hard is this to replace? and should i consider it or look for something else? Its very inexpensive which is the only reason I am asking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I found a 94 dr 350 that looks decent but the guy says it needs a clutch cable and the kickstart gear needs to be replaced. How hard is this to replace? and should i consider it or look for something else? Its very inexpensive which is the only reason I am asking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Until it's been disassembled and inspected the diagnosis of only needing a kickstart gear is just guesswork. It might take $100 to fix it or it might take $1000. Until the actual damage is discovered you can't even know exactly what is wrong.

ya your right. Its only $300 for the entire bike though. Otherwise i wouldn't even be considering this. I am most likely just going to let it pass

If it's only a kickstart gear, it's really easy to replace. Remove the right side cover to the engine and it's right there.

As ProCycle said though, it's tough to determine. Maybe you could ask the seller to remove the engine side cover so you could see it? Wish it were local to me, I'd buy it for parts at that price.

For $300 I'd take that gamble in heartbeat. Worst case scenario you could part it out for at least $500-$600.

I had thought about buying it to part out, but i looked on ebay and none of the parts on there were selling. I also didnt even check to part it out on tt. You guys think there would be more interest when summer gets a little closer?

I just went and looked at it cause it was only a few miles away. It has some kind of aftermarket exhaust with no labels i could see, rims were good, fork seals didnt leak and the bike actually looked pretty nice. It was really cold out and we were out in his yard so I did not take the side cover off. There is also no title. tires were decent. any thoughts?

I decided I'm gonnna buy the bike. If it looks like too much work fix I will just part out what I can. I'll post pictures when i get them.

I just did the same thing last month. I got my parts bike mainly for the RM forks that were on it. I've had an add on Craig's list trying to sell the bottom end and may other parts and have noT got a single hit. Mine was a 1993 model so am doing the kick start add on to my 1997. I removed the kick starter from the 1993 and that was pretty darn easy. The install shouldn't be much tougher.

Good luck.

that guys just got problems everywhere. I did buy the bike but no photos cause I don't have a photobucket account. but its not the prettiest. I am pretty sure that the only thing that is wrong is that the guy tried replacing a seal and put the kick starter assembly back together wrong. It also needs the clutch cover gasket and clutch cable. If it doesn't run after i it back together then im gonna part out what i can on craigslist and ebay. Im assuming that the wheels will be the only thing to sell.

If you decide to part it, hit me up by PM. I can use a few parts and would be willing to pay about half the asking price the seller wants for the whole bike!

If you decide to part it, hit me up by PM. I can use a few parts and would be willing to pay about half the asking price the seller wants for the whole bike!

Will do. I will know by early next week what I am gonna do with it. If anyone else is interested pm me

I just finished putting the clutch and everything back together. There is still an issue with the kick starter so I will be parting it out. Thanks for your help everyone.