Sign in to follow this  

Gaerne GX-1 vs Alpinestars Tech 3

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a boot in the $200 range, and am down to probably the GX-1 or the Tech 3.

Can you offer any advice or recommendations that may help my decision?

Thanks

I have a set of Alpine Star Tech 3 boots. I don’t like them. They are way too stiff and I cannot flex my ankle at all, I also find myself riding the rear brake every once in a while. I cant feel anything or move anything, shifting is a bitch. At least with the lack of movement it will better protect my ankle? I don’t feel confident while wearing them and currently looking for a good boot for around $200 as well. I have worn them several times and thought “they will break in” right? They have a plastic plate over the ankle so it never softened up.

I wore a pair of Fox racing boots I picked up at a store locally for around $180, they were comfortable and had great movement and wish I never gave them to my cousin. . .

Edited by Max78

I wore Tech 3's last year and I hated the buckles. After a year of racing the boots were toast!

gx1 are WAY better, the gx1 are as nice as the tech8, I own both, only diff is the tech8 has a bootie that I cant even use anyway

It seems the general consensus is to go with the GX-1 boot. I was kinda hoping it would be the Tech 3 since I can try on and purchase the Alpinestars locally, but I'll be sure to order the Gaerne through an online retailer with a good return/exchange policy just in case I get the wrong size.

On the topic of size, I normally wear an 8.5 or 9 in sneakers/shoes... my understanding is that the Gaerne sizes should be the same, and hence I should order a 9. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for all the advice.

It seems the general consensus is to go with the GX-1 boot. I was kinda hoping it would be the Tech 3 since I can try on and purchase the Alpinestars locally, but I'll be sure to order the Gaerne through an online retailer with a good return/exchange policy just in case I get the wrong size.

On the topic of size, I normally wear an 8.5 or 9 in sneakers/shoes... my understanding is that the Gaerne sizes should be the same, and hence I should order a 9. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Gaerne tends to run about 1/2 size large.

Gaerne over Astars any price point any day.

+1

You can never go wrong with Gaerne. the boots are comfy buckles are easy and all their boots have good protection

I also have a pair of Tech3s that I got brand new for $100. Even at that price I wouldn't buy them again. I fight the buckles everytime I put them on or take them off,and as somebody else said,I too find it hard to keep my foot off the brake at times.

Great advice guys...

It funny, I've heard some of my friends (a few woods riders) rave about how Alpinestars are 'the best' boot you can buy... figured I'd check with a wider audience, and it seems pretty definitive that the Gaerne's are the better boot. I had never heard of them since I'm new to this, but was attracted to the fact that they were made in Italy.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be ordering a pair of the GX-1s.

CamP mentioned they run a 1/2 size big... I can only order the boots in full sizes, so I was considering the 8 or 9 (since I wear an 8.5 or 9 shoe). My fear is the 9 might be a little big, is this easily remedied with an insole, or heavy sock?

Great advice guys...

It funny, I've heard some of my friends (a few woods riders) rave about how Alpinestars are 'the best' boot you can buy... figured I'd check with a wider audience, and it seems pretty definitive that the Gaerne's are the better boot. I had never heard of them since I'm new to this, but was attracted to the fact that they were made in Italy.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be ordering a pair of the GX-1s.

CamP mentioned they run a 1/2 size big... I can only order the boots in full sizes, so I was considering the 8 or 9 (since I wear an 8.5 or 9 shoe). My fear is the 9 might be a little big, is this easily remedied with an insole, or heavy sock?

i wear a 14 shoe ordered a 14 boot and it fits perfect Gaerne SG10

Check out craigslist first too. There's lots of people out there selling nearly brand new (and even brand new) Gaernes for way less. I bought a pair of SG12s for $250. Kid bought them, raced a couple weekdns of MX and broke his hip. He's out of MX now.

When I was shopping them, I had 3 or 4 other pairs of SG10s lined up in the $175-$225 range.

But, if you don't want a hinged boot, then GX1s will be great.

• Like 1

What's your guy's thoughts on a hinged boot?

I've never owned a pair of mx boots before, as this is my first dirt bike. I'll be wood/trail riding, no motocross...

i absolutely love my sg10's, by far thest best boot ive owened, had tech 3 and tech 7 pior, for $312 shiped to my door it was $ well spent

I had (well, to be specific, still have...) a pair of alpinestars vectors, then I noticed that they started leaking water in like crazy (big crack in the side), and said screw buying another pair of astars due to that reason. The boots were a couple years old and still in good shape, other than that crack. So, I went out and bought a pair of sg10, got a deal on them since they were the "slightly" older design, great boots to say the least.

I just purchased the GX-1's. I usually wear about a 9.5 in a shoe and had read that the Gerne's always run large so I got a 9. Now I am going to have to send them back because the right boot is too small. (one foot is usually a little bigger than the other). They feel like there is about a half inch in the back of the boot that I'm not using and if I could get my foot to stay back they would fit great, but the boot positions your foot forward so my toes are against the end--not tight but enough that it would be very bothersome after a while.

Here is my dilemma: if I send them back and get a 10 will they be huge? They don't offer a 9.5 so 10 is my only choice. They feel light and look good...maybe I could get the 10 and put a nice insole in them? what do you guys think?

I just purchased the GX-1's. I usually wear about a 9.5 in a shoe and had read that the Gerne's always run large so I got a 9. Now I am going to have to send them back because the right boot is too small. (one foot is usually a little bigger than the other). They feel like there is about a half inch in the back of the boot that I'm not using and if I could get my foot to stay back they would fit great, but the boot positions your foot forward so my toes are against the end--not tight but enough that it would be very bothersome after a while.

Here is my dilemma: if I send them back and get a 10 will they be huge? They don't offer a 9.5 so 10 is my only choice. They feel light and look good...maybe I could get the 10 and put a nice insole in them? what do you guys think?

If your toes are just kissing the end, that's perfect.