Sign in to follow this  

525 seat

Just got an 03 525. It's an MXC but has an EXC seat/tank on it. Had a lot of fun on my first ride out but it's way tall for me. Not a problem on the trails but I didn't have a lot of confidence on technical hill climbs.

How much foam can I cut out of the seat an not risk felling the seat base? I'de like to lose about an 1 1/2" if I can.

Also, anyone use one of the newer X-bushings to lower the rear shock the 7/8"? I read some post that people were having problems with them wearing out too fast but the manufacturer claims to have made some improvements.

I still have to check the sag. Maybe that will make a difference also.

Thanks.

The X-Bushings work well and are long lasting. Set you racing sag at 120mm (4 3/4"). You may be able to remove a little seat foam, but don't make it too thin. I believe that there are some aftermarket lower EXC seats available. The best, although most expensive, mod is to have both front and rear suspensions professionally shortened and revalved.

Turns out it was a tall seat and I was able to remove about an inch of foam. That inch helps a lot. Need to set the sag and see where I'm at. If it's still feeling tall, I think I will go with the X-bushing and slide my forks up slightly.