Sign in to follow this  

Kawi380 95DR350SE Rebuild

OK,

So I have a beat up old 95DR350SE that was once mine then went to my brother for a few years. Now I have it back. :smirk: While my brother had it, it got no love whatsoever :lol: . I have decided that I like the bike enough to fix her up but man is there a lot to do. As of yet the budget is still open but we are not lookiing at big bucks....less than $1000 total.

Here she is in all her glory.

2012-02-06160614.jpg

To start I bought some new tires, Dunlop D606 front and rear, and Bridgestone UHD tubes.

2012-02-06160659.jpg

I am going to be riding the bike as much as possible so down time will only be for fixing purposes and hopefully as short as possible at a time.

Future planned updates:

New top end: 20000 miles and runs good but there is an oil leak somewhere down low. Don't think I'll do a big bore kit but probably clean things up and replace as necessary. I do like the stock manners of the bike and have other rides if I want more power.

Paint job: the entire bike has rust from top to bottom

Bearings: I will replace any bearing I can get my hands on as most of them are rusted solid

Bars: I like fat bars so will most likely go that route

Levers, grips, etc

Dirt model rear fender: hate the huge extender on there now

Exhaust: send to Jesse to have modded

BST Carb: I removed the carb and cleaned it well. Need to get a jet kit for it but at this point am not think I need the pumper....yet :bonk:

New break pads and rotors: again they have some serious rust on them

New chain and sprockets: they are pretty shot, not sure what gearing as this will most likely be my full time DS bike

Luggage system: I'm up in the air will see

lots more I am sure. Just getting started. :lol:

Nice! I'm in the process of freshening up my 1994 dr350se as we speak. Don't know if you looked into dirtbagz for luggage but at $250 with the supports they're a decent value. Currently I run them on my drz and would rate them as my best mod value to date.

Nice! I'm in the process of freshening up my 1994 dr350se as we speak. Don't know if you looked into dirtbagz for luggage but at $250 with the supports they're a decent value. Currently I run them on my drz and would rate them as my best mod value to date.

I'm still looking around but for $250 that might not be a bad way to go...

OK, I put about 20 miles on the bike last night to see what else may out of the woodwork. The carb seems to run clean off the bottom but stumbles a bit through the range up to the top. I am guessing that means I am running a bit lean. Will work on that this weekend with the few jets I have.

Kawi380

Took one more picture before I started to tear into it.

2012-03-30154806.jpg

20 minutes later.

2012-03-30164534.jpg

1 hour later.

2012-03-31111527.jpg

some nice rust

2012-03-31111554.jpg

more rust

2012-03-31111603.jpg

couldn't seem to get the 2 bolts that hold this on out

2012-03-31122813.jpg

so I had to use this

2012-03-31124106.jpg

to do this

2012-03-31123228.jpg

and then finished up with these

2012-03-31123238.jpg

Now I have this

2012-03-31122800.jpg

and this

2012-03-31124049.jpg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol::doh::cry:

I just need to sand blast the frame, rims, hubs, and small bits so it can be sent off for powder coat. :lol:

I also plan on soda blasting as much as possible so this thing can look new again. :thumbsup:

more to come :banghead:

Edited by kawi380

I started with 300lbs of sand....3 hours later I had this.

2012-04-14133349.jpg:doh:

I blasted a few of the other small bits such as the battery box, foot pegs, etc.

Then I went on to the motor. First things first it really needed a cleaning.

2012-04-14133200.jpg

2012-04-14133151.jpg

So I used simple green and a toothbrush to get it as clean as I could. I would like to do some soda blasting the get the fins cleaner but :thumbsup: we will see if I make it.

Here is the old piston.

2012-04-14150906.jpg

Not bad for 20,000 miles.

Here is the new Wiseco piston installed.

2012-04-14161442.jpg

A picture of the valves. There were pretty dirty but I clean them up and did a poor mans leak check :thumbsup:

2012-04-14150745.jpg

Took me about 3 hours to do the complete rebuild but I did all the checks in the manual. The only part that was getting a bit worn was the crank side to side. Still within spec so I went ahead and put it all back together. :thumbsup:

Next up is the disassembly of the wheels so I can have the hubs and rims powder coated along with the frame. :lol:

Hi is that a standard size bore/piston

Yep, 78mm std size bore and piston. Didn't see a reason to go any bigger as this is not a race bike. :banghead:

I had a little time to do some more work so I broke out the linkage bearing kit and went about installing

2012-05-05064300.jpg

The knuckle is in really good shape

2012-05-05085849.jpg

The bearings actually had some pretty good looking grease in them

2012-05-05085838.jpg

All assembled and ready to go

2012-05-05095340.jpg

The bike has grease zerks on all the bearing so I made sure to clean them up and made the passages in the bolts were also clean. Everything looked pretty good :banghead:

Still need to unlace the rims as I have my powder coat appt next week. :thumbsup:

love to do a job like that on my 92 DR350S but not that brave tbh

love to do a job like that on my 92 DR350S but not that brave tbh

Not really that difficult. Just do a little at a time. If you have questions this forum is great for help. I also use ADVrider and maximum suzuki from time to time for help if I can't get it here.

Also helps to have the right tools :banghead:

I have a 91 350E and she would like to know if i can borrow your garage for a weekend :banghead:

I have a 91 350E and she would like to know if i can borrow your garage for a weekend :banghead:

Tell her to come on by, I'm sure we can sort things out. :thumbsup:

Not really that difficult. Just do a little at a time. If you have questions this forum is great for help. I also use ADVrider and maximum suzuki from time to time for help if I can't get it here.

Also helps to have the right tools :banghead:

mine doesnt need so drastic a build thankfully,tappets a bit noisy,possibly a cam chain,was thinking of ye ole split link jobby ,but you never know when that bugger gonna go .rest just cosmetic stuff ,was going to replace clutch and mag cover for better finished ones,unless theres a good spray finish i could use also on fork legs ..thnx in advance .but im going to have to buy a good socket set as my spanners and wrenches dont do all,like the 37mm socket for rotating crank etc Edited by LFCmark

Next on the list is to get the rims and hubs ready for powder coat.

2012-05-11112712.jpg

Had to heat the rotor bolts to break the loctite seal.

2012-05-11114121.jpg

There is lots of oxidation on all parts of the rear rim :)

2012-05-11114112.jpg

The front rim looked pretty good.

2012-05-11114130.jpg

I got the old wheel bearings out with my trusty hammer.

2012-05-11120537.jpg

They were still in pretty good shape, but will be replaced with new ones.

The spokes and nipples were so rusted I had to use this

2012-05-11122330.jpg

To do this :banghead:

2012-05-11122341.jpg

and this :applause:

2012-05-11122350.jpg

Now they are all apart

2012-05-11123940.jpg

I have some hardly used, never been raced spokes that I would be willing to give to someone for the cost of shipping :ride:

2012-05-11123912.jpg

Next will be to soda blast and generally clean up the rims and hubs so they can be powder coated. :thumbsup:

Man nice work its coming along nicely, I'm looking at the first week in June I will be starting the restoration of our 93 DR 350, I am really looking forward to the fun of this project.

Man nice work its coming along nicely, I'm looking at the first week in June I will be starting the restoration of our 93 DR 350, I am really looking forward to the fun of this project.

Thanks. I have been taking my time and just enjoying it. I have no need to rush as I have other bikes to ride. I want to make sure I don't miss anything so this will be a mostly new bike when I am done with it. That is the hope anyway. :cry:

Coming on nicely.

You have spokes already to replace with?

When i saw the photo of cut spokes i thought 'no way'...

:cry:

Coming on nicely.

You have spokes already to replace with?

When i saw the photo of cut spokes i thought 'no way'...

:cry:

I had the cut the spokes as they were so rusted there was no saving them. :ride:

I haven't purchased new spokes yet. Need to figure out what I want because I know with some after market spoke kits you have to drill out the hubs... :cry: