Short Girl Rider, upgrading? needs ideas!

So, I just thought I'd throw this thread in here to get some ideas.

I'm a girl, 24 years old, 5'4, about 150lbs. I've been riding a yz85 for the last season, but for the last 3 months I've been putting around on a 2003 yz250f. Now, my yz85 needs a rebuild, AND I think I want to upgrade to a full size bike.

What I like about the 85 is the seat height. Although, I'm more comfortable on the bigger frame, but I am unable to kick start the bike on trails, or unstable spots. Im fine riding 2 strokes, or 4 strokes, clutch work wise. Also I generally ride trails, and wide open areas(like flat trails next to the local river), BUT I would also like to get out on a track once or twice and see if I like it. and if I do I want that to be an option. My family has a preference for the race bikes, rather than the trails, based on weight. Should I take the leap to the 250(4 or 2t?), 125 2t? or should I stick with my 85 and bore it out/suspension work(150lbs is too much for an 85?)????

But anyways, what bike would you suggest? and would you suggest any mods?

Also, feel free to ask more questions about my riding style or whatever.

250fkickin.jpg

DSCF3268.jpgiphonejuly094.jpgIMG00669-20110424-1446.jpg

inseam, is like a 30'. But if I go for a 150rb, I might as well stick with my 85, because its the same frame size, same height. Only difference is its 4 stroke. And my 85 probs goes faster/is more peppy. Especially if I bored it out to a 103, or 110.

As Pumpkin mentioned, here are some of the bikes that are in between the size of the YZ85 and the YZ250F

CRF150RB (expert)

KTM105XC

KX100

All of these are about 1.5 to 2.0" higher in the seat and have 19" front and 16" rear wheels. I think, but i cant tell for sure that your yz85 is 17" front/14" rear (unless it has the big wheel kit).

If you can handle the YZ250F with the 21" front/19" rear wheels it is probably better suited for you at 150#. Maybe the way to go if you move to a full size bike is to go with the WR250F or CRF250X that have the elect start. Or perhaps you could move up to a KTM150, KTM200 or KDX200, which are full size bikes, like the CRF250F, but since they are two strokes should be easier to start than the 250 4 stroke. Somethign to consider for any of the full size bikes, might be to shave some material off the seats or suspension lowering mods (which can get expensive quickly).

http://www.mxseatpro.com/Home.html

http://racetech.com/page/id/17

http://racetech.com/html_files/LOWER_PHOTO.html

Based on where you live, and the pictures, I presume you are doing trail riding. If so, I think the wide ratio models (not the motocross bikes) are easier to ride and a bit more forgiving on the trails and have electric start.

fyi...just moving my 18 year old daughter who is just under 5' 5" from the KX100 to a KDX200. Shaved the seat and using a lowering link (www.koubalink.com). We'll see how it works for her this summer riding season. She is on her tiptoes, but she can kick start it.

It is very challenging to find a trail bike that can work for women (as you are no doubt finding).

Yeah, I'm also considering a wr250f, for the convenience of the electric start. But I hate the look of the trail bikes, but I think yz plastics fit the wr's too? If they do, then I'm all over that.

I'm just not sure about which would be better for me a 2 stroke, or a 4 stroke. I dont have a lot of extra money to put into the bike, which sucks. So it has to be something reliable, and that can handle the hours, I usually ride about 10 hours a week, riding like mar-oct.

yz-chelci....not sure I follow the comment about YZ plastics vs. WR. Depending on the year, I think that the plastics essentially have the same look to them. Only difference I see between the YZ and WR cosmetically is that the WR has headlight and taillight (and a battery under the seat). The airfilter access for the WR is more convenient since you can get to it without taking off the seat. Sometimes the parts are interchangeable....but sometimes there are slight differences to accommodate things like the coolant overflow reservoir, etc.

Have a look at pictures of the 2008 YZ250F vs. WR250F (same basic look)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_wr250f_2008.php

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_yz250f_2008.php

I think the same is true regarding the looks of the CRF250X vs CRF250R.

Regarding 2t vs. 4t....since it seems you have and can ride both, I think I would look for the best condition/year/price combination that you can get with your budget. A 2 stroke (all other things being equal like starting condition) will be cheaper to maintain in the long run. From what I have read (and my still limited experience) the WR's are thought to be some of the most reliable motors. The CRF X's have some reputation for having valve wear issues for '07 and prior models (I have no direct experience about that just have done quite a bit of reading on TT forums). The four stroke will have better low end torque but is a heavier bike.

Not sure what is priced well and available up there in BC. My guess (just based on what I see in Colorado) is that the KTMs will be the most expensive and the WRs and CRFX's will be a little less and the japanese two stroke mx bikes will be the cheapest.

My experience here tells me the Kawasaki KDX200/KDX220 might be the best bang for the buck...lighter weight, a bit older, cheaper two stroke maintenance and they are very reliable. Not sure what kind of availability and pricing you have up there in BC for KDX's. Perhaps the BC riders (Pumpkin??) can make some suggestions of bike to look for given their knowledge of local market conditions/pricing?

It might be useful to provide an approximately range that you want/plan to spend for your upgraded bike.

thanks everyone. Bikes are really expensive in BC, so I'll probably buy one in Washington state(since im like 5 mins away). But SilvFX, you're exactly right, all 250's are expensive whether they are 4t or 2t, and wr's a little cheaper than yz.

I say I dont like the wr because of the lights on the plastics. not many people here ride those, and based on cosmetics only I would not rock the lights lol. ktms are the most expensive here. but a ktm 105 might be affordable. I'm not really on the kdx bandwagon again for age/looks. I know beggars cant be choosers but I am a lady and looks do count!!

I've been talking it over with my family and we're kinda leaning towards the 150rb. They are pretty pricey, but they're a good option so that I get something newer, with the look I like, AND I would be able to take it to the track every now and then.

Also, my boyfriend said that he would put a lowering link on his 250f, and that way I could ride it and see if I can handle the weight of the 250f.

Btw, I just got over a knee/leg injury(broken tibial plateau, and torn mcl, and acl) so I'm saving up now for a bike, so its gonna be awhile before I can afford it, due to being off work for 3 months with my injuries.

THANKS EVERYONE ?

I agree with SilvFx.

Depending on budget, here are the bikes I recommend...in order

1) KTM 200 XC/EXC - Excellent performance and reliability in one package (thats why they hold their resale)

2) Kawasaki KDX 200 - Bulletproof bikes with decent performance

3) WR250 - Good performance, but will be heavier than the others.

You might need to lower any of these, as mentioned.

Get a 2008 or newer KTM xc or xcf. These bikes will have electric start, come in the 2 or 4 stroke variety. Are very popular so parts and service are all over, easy to lower for your height if need be.. They are basically cross country race bikes per se.. However they are perfect for the track as well, especially for someone like yourself coming from a 85. If you want something more trail friendly the xcfw or xcw are the trail versions of the same bikes. A little softer suspension and powertrain usually.

I have a XCF and I ride enduros/trail riding and mx sometimes.. Bike is perfect, I dont even mess with the clickers when I cross between the two..

yz_c...interesting that the WR's are typically cheaper than the YZ's....just the opposite thing going on here in Colorado since these can be converted with minimal work to plated bikes.. Of course, you can un plug (dont cut them out) the front and rear lights and replace the front light with the YZ front plate for cheap to give you the look you want.

Given the dark forests you guys ride in, it might be nice to be able to plug the light back in for certain rides (or maybe long rides where there is a chance you can get caught after dark).

You might already know this, but here is an interesting tool that collects craigslist postings and/or e-bay postings (for the US), click on the bike you are interested in and then click on the see everybike listing. You can then sort by year, price. state, etc.

http://www.bikefinds.com/

If you go the route of the CRF150RB (expert), you might want to consider a flywheel weight to give it a little better trail riding manners.

www.steahlyoffroad.com

I looked at the CRF150RB for my daughter before I found the KX100 she rode last year. Nice bikes and probably better low end torque than a two stroke. There is a 2009 version of the CRF150R that comes in black that looks even better than the red one. I just couldnt justify the price tag. '07 and '08's CRF150R's were selling here in Colorado for $2500-$3200 and I picked up a low usagee '09 KX100 for $1600. The KX's have better low end (because of the powervalve) than the YZ85 you are riding (no powervalve) and have the same size wheels (19"/16"), seat height, and suspension travel of the CRF150RB and it is about 20 lbs lighter (due to being a two stroke). But....ya gotta like green.

You can get a YZ 125 for a decent price and send the suspension to Smart Performance and have it re-valved and lowered an inch or so. The bike works well for my son; he is your height.

seeing how your family favors yamaha track bikes it seems like a natural choice. throw a fww on it and maybe a big bore kit later and you are set. easy to start/maintain . Since you mentioned it they are a pretty hot lookin' bike too........

my inseam is 30, and i have a 2004 250x, havent even been riding for a year, 2004 happened to be the tallest year for the 250x at around 39" so if I can ride, that you should be able to handle a 37" race bike....as far as kick starting it, if your on a hill big enough that you cant start the bike, and its already off, your in bigger trouble than that...

My daughter raced a YZ85 for a couple years we laced big wheels onto it the last year she raced it before moving to a YZ125/Gas Gas125/ The big wheel mod makes it a way diferent bike much better in the woods

th_frylake_0002.jpg

Edited by gruberyz
  • Like 1

yeah, basically, right now Im thinking about putting a big wheel on my 85, and a big bore(since its ready for a rebuild anyways), and I'm gonna ride that for another year or so. After that I'll probably just make the jump to the 250...

If I had unlimited cash I would go for a Ktm xcw most likely. Or a Yamaha yz250f. Im reluctant to only own a 250 though, in case its just too heavy to lift after a crash or whatever. BUT in all honesty I always have a boyfriend or guy friend with me, who is always willing to pick it up/kick it over for me(lol). SO in the future when I have cash I'll hop onto a 250f, but for now Im just looking for a cheaper option!! Which unfortunately is to stay with what I have now.

I just wanted to hear some more options from you guys, the more advice the better =)

Get a 125 2t. If you like the powerband of your 85 it only gets better on a 125. They have plenty of power and are great in the woods or on the track. If you're good with the clutch then you'll get even better with it on a 125. I'm 5' 6" 160 lbs so am pretty close to your dimensions. For a while I had a shaved seat which seemed conveniant at first, but was just a pain after a while whenever I wanted to sit. It also put me in an akward riding position in corners.

You seem pretty worried about stalling in akward positions, but unless you are racing then who really cares? I've gotten to the point where I almost never end up in a position like that, if anything you just get used to it and learn to adapt. When your moving which is 99% of the time your going to be a heck of a lot more comfortable on a full size bike. That being said, a 125 is a heck of a lot easier to start than a 250 2t or 4t when stuck on an akward hillclimb or rock garden.

I have mine valved for agressive woods riding and I take it out on the track no problem with a bunch of clicks in on compression. As long as your not casing any big jumps... Somebody mentioned getting the suspension professionally lowered. That's a great idea as well, if you have the cash.

Pick a color and go 125.