need some feedback on tire hugger idea

OK TT Some of you may have seen my othier post showing my custom platic , well I had this idea to go with a tire hugger

well I have it moked up and keep going back and forth on it . So give me some feedback positive and negitive

I think would like it more if the tire was closer to the hugger

DSCF00041-4.jpg

DSCF00021-4.jpg

Edited by suzuki sm nut 123

recently i got a thing for big fenders. even changed the front fender on my SM

anyway,

you gotta go with what you like

you're bike rips because of what YOU have done to it. it's yours and i'm guessing you aren't going to be selling it any time soon.

i know you have a vision & we want to see it ?

plastic is cheap any way hahaha

Thanks for the replys every body , well decided to go ahead with the hugger ( even though it's so much hugging ? ) I think once the subframe is powder couted red and the yosh duals are mounted it will all come together

Hooligoon , the plastic on the sides needs to be thier to fill in the gap between the seat and the frame w/ all the plastic gone just did not look right

I'd say in my opinion this is the hottes drz I've seen in the forum with all my respect to all other brilliant builds.

If I had the money and time this bike would deffo be my inspiration.

Have you had thoughts on mounting a full hugger i.e. the 90's type of sports hugger? I dunno, it might be worth a look....

1: It's a canvas, and your the artist, so take it as one who can appreciate clean custom work, even if it's not a direction I would go.

Your doing clean work, no baling wire, not duct tape and zip ties. :bonk:

Personally, my opinion, it screams mud (spray) guard, not hugger.

To me, a hugger should / would be a form fitting fender that moves with then swing arm and wheel. Great for controlling water, dust, small road debris.. The idea as executed on a sport bike is great, and on a SM, interesting.... I like the idea, but what you have does not fit my idea of a hugger.

That said.. What you have, no matter the name, is clean looking? and should help keep junk off the shock.

Though your'll still get crap everywhere if you run though rain or wet roads..

Im not positive, but i think I would want it to extend further back... ?

DSCF00021-4.jpg

I'd put some round tube around the rear fender to make it more noticeable or shape it to look more like a seat cowl.

As for the tire hugger it's not one if it doesn't hug the tire, you need to move it closer to the tire and make it go around it a bit more, at least some 30deg. to make it stand out, otherwise it would just look like you're trying to hide an ugly piece of plastic, (not saying it's ugly).

Love what you're doing with the bike by the way.

Is the hugger for looks, or are you actually trying to prevent spray and road bits from getting into the shock/intake/etc? If you've explained this already, I didn't see it anywhere. I would think the hugger would have to be a lot longer and closer to the tire, otherwise you'll still get road grime underneath the fender/seat, in the intake, and all up and down your back.

Today I was at the motorcycle show and looked at several huggers , and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to hand fabercate one .

This is the plan working off of what I have, Going to make the sides wider so it meets the wheel and taller so it looks in proportion.

plan to use thin sheet metal then fiberglass over it all and paint it white.

A) Thise will turn out great

B)It will be complete disaster

C) ????

Right now the current hugger is sitting on the edge of the swing arm so moving closer just won't work

Today I was at the motorcycle show and looked at several huggers , and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to hand fabercate one .

This is the plan working off of what I have, Going to make the sides wider so it meets the wheel and taller so it looks in proportion.

plan to use thin sheet metal then fiberglass over it all and paint it white.

A) Thise will turn out great

B)It will be complete disaster

C) ????

Right now the current hugger is sitting on the edge of the swing arm so moving closer just won't work

Hugger= renamed fender... keeps some grim from getting on the bike... but now u want it white ?

Headscratch

low temp thermo plastic is great for doing the prototype stuff your doing. Then once done, you gel coat it, lay some glass.. and you have your hugger.. heat the plastic up a bit and peel the plastic away from the fiberglass

http://shapelock.com/index.html

Thanks for the reply , is this the stuff your talking about (or

thise

http://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/smartparts/ltp.htm