Sign in to follow this  

source for rear sprockets and front sprockets of rare sizes

I did some searching and came up with only 47 tooth and larger rear sprockets. what is the best source and price for sprockets at 44tooth or smaller? I'm going to jump from my stock 15-47 to 15-44, have my 14 tooth for current high gearing, and grab a 13 for the few times I ever offroad.

also I was planning on going steel. besides the split ring type that are way too exspensive, this is the best choice for longevity, correct?

Edited by Davenjw

I did some searching and came up with only 47 tooth and larger rear sprockets. what is the best source and price for sprockets at 44tooth or smaller? I'm going to jump from my stock 15-47 to 15-44, have my 14 tooth for current high gearing, and grab a 13 for the few times I ever offroad.

also I was planning on going steel. besides the split ring type that are way too expensive, this is the best choice for longevity, correct?

Stealth is too much $$?

Well, ok, I guess.. price seems reasonable to me...but that’s a personal choice.

Im guessing then you wont want a stainless steel sprocket as the cost is about the same or more then the stealth.

So that leaves plain steel, and yes your correct, much longer wearing then an AL sprocket, not even close.

The SM uses the same fitment for rear sprocket as all other DRZ models, and the 44 is an OEM size on the S, making it a common sprocket.

JT steel 41 to 53 http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=510&s=2

SUNSTAR Steel 41 -52 http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2010/default.asp?p=606&s=2

I suppose I havent priced them anywhere except rockymountainatv, and they only had 47 or larger. where are these fabled 44 tooth? I found 38/39 at wheeling cycle supply.... $90 does seem a bit steep for a sprocket.

what are the stock sprockets? it has held up for 10k miles....

Edited by Davenjw

Stelth Form Super Sprox

http://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1362

1 Product(s) in cart 1 RST808 for Suzuki DRZ 400 S [2000-2008] (44 Gold) 79.95 Total $79.95

I suppose I havent priced them anywhere except rockymountainatv, and they only had 47 or larger. where are these fabled 44 tooth? I found 38/39 at wheeling cycle supply.... $90 does seem a bit steep for a sprocket.

what are the stock sprockets? it has held up for 10k miles....

Did you follow the links above ???? I posted?

From one link above

http://shop.thumpert...tCode=TR_930046

Steel 44 tooth, $42

From the other link above

http://shop.thumpert...ode=PU_jtr80844

Steel 44 tooth $33

ON EVERY DRZ 400S from 2000 to on the floor today, a 44th steel sprocket. Last time I looked it was a rebranded SUNSTAR,, But I bet the supplier has changed more than once over the years.

And yes RM ATV has them., you just looked up the worng bike.

JT Rear Steel Sprocket|Read (2) Reviews for JT Rear Steel Sprocket

$30.99

sorry I completely missed the links when I looksed at your post earlier, and I will double check my sprocket size. sorry for being a dummy. guess im looking for a 41.. don't worry about it I'll find one.

Edited by Davenjw

sorry I completely missed the links when I looksed at your post earlier, and I will double check my sprocket size. sorry for being a dummy.

:lol: Not my intent to call you that :bonk: No worrys.. just confused on why the links to steel 44 th sprockets led you to write where doi I find steel 44th sprockets :smirk:

for the SM, the smaller sprockets 37, 38, 39 are harder to come by... for sure, but OEM 41 (SM), 44 (S), 47 (E) and up are easy to find, plain steel, AL, SS, Combo AL / Steel.

And I should have stated it differently earlier.

YES the Stealth AL/ Ti / Steel sprocket is pricy when compared to a $30 steel ring.. But in the overall cost of motorcycle parts,, for a chain ring that will last many miles, $85 for a Stealth or SS ring is not bad... in my opinion. I have a SS chain ring, 49th, that has been in use since 2005, installed for my first 24 hour GP in OR. It is still serviceable, with having more wear from a rocks and mud, sand then from chain wear.

I have a Stealth41 for the SM build Im doing now

Anyone looking for Long life has two choices, SS, Stealth, or Steel.

I like those supersprox kits in your link. what the difference between a grooved front sprocket and non grooved?

I use Renthal Front sprockets,(one on the right) as They fit very tight on the countershaft splines, wear great, and have a good taper on the tooth, plus a reduced area under the tooth to clear mud.

front_chainwheels.jpg

I have not used the front sprocket from SuperSporx, not the kits.

PBI Sprockets. I've used them a bunch, and they make great sprockets.

Here is the rear, with options to go from 36-61 teeth. http://shop.pbisproc...0&categoryId=45

The fronts go from 11-15 http://shop.pbisproc...7&categoryId=42

I run PBI's on all my bikes from my 90cc RV90 up to my Bandit 1200, and they've been great. Not shilling for them, just a good product with a lot of options. Plus made in the USA

Edited by Mattydiah

PBI Sprockets; Aluminum .

What can I say..

Google “Aluminum and Sprockets and wear” see what you find.., it won’t be full of response claiming amazing results with wear and durability. But some will state much like the poster above, simply amazing experiences and glowing reviews. Throwing out the negative thoughts, I chalk it up to a personal observation that is not commonly experienced by most others,, that does not make it less believable, just not representative of what most others will find.

So if a user wants to try a AL sprocket, absolutely give a PBI or another brand a try, you might be one of the ones that has the best possible usage patterns that allows great wear and use from one.

Most others will find they wear fast, and are not a better choice vice a plain steel, SS or bi metal sprocket.

Some kind of thing with tires.

I get 2 rides from a rear tire on the DRZ, maybe 3 rides on the RM, others measure wear in tens of rides or years of wear... :smirk:

Yeah I was worried about the aluminum as well, but its held up nicely for me. I'm not covering my bikes in dirt every ride, but they do get dirty.

Wikipedia does say this about that particular alloy of aluminum:

Aluminium alloy 7075 is an aluminium alloy, with zinc as the primary alloying element. It is strong, with a strength comparable to many steels, and has good fatigue strength

I think the most amazing thing here is that you get 2 rides out of a rear tire? How do you manage to do that? Are each of your rides 2,000 miles long?

Edited by Mattydiah

Yeah I was worried about the aluminum as well, but its held up nicely for me. I'm not covering my bikes in dirt every ride, but they do get dirty.

Wikipedia does say this about that particular alloy of aluminum:

I think the most amazing thing here is that you get 2 rides out of a rear tire? How do you manage to do that? Are each of your rides 2,000 miles long?

Nope, a ride is a 2 day weekend normally, so 80-200 miles.. a "ride". Back when my wife was riding, I would get 5 or 6 rides, as every other weekend was a family ride.. But with just my son and I riding now... it's balls out, on rocky terrain and tires are a combo of worn down rounded knobs with a few chunked or missing ones as well.

Back in OR, it was a little more wear time as the terrain was more forgiving.... On the CA trips, on decomposing granite,, back to faster wearing.