Sign in to follow this  

Best valve springs for crf450

I have a 05 crf450.im running a stage 3 hotcam.bike is being used for road racing.

What is the best valve springs to use?

ferrea valve springs theres copys but not the same quality of spring wire i worked on the development of this spring and we had to have it made a couple of times because of the severe cam profiles i was using.there was an articale in engine technology magazine discussing new spring wires being made in pa that have made it possibble for nascar to use a cam profile that wasnt possible before.

Does Ferrea make the springs or just re-brand them?

KW springs are not for high lift cams! They wear out to fast.

What is the average lifespan of a Ferrea spring with a high lift cam?

What about PSI, APE or RD springs?

Ferrea does not make springs. They have them made. Same with us. We have had racing springs made for over 25 years and certainly have it down. We make all of the components in house, Ti retainers, bases, etc. All of our CRF Honda springs are proprietary.

We have used Ferrea in some applications. Good product. PSI is a very good spring. They make some of our big drag racing springs.

Ferrea does not make springs. They have them made. Same with us. We have had racing springs made for over 25 years and certainly have it down. We make all of the components in house, Ti retainers, bases, etc. All of our CRF Honda springs are proprietary.

We have used Ferrea in some applications. Good product. PSI is a very good spring. They make some of our big drag racing springs.

The problem I have with APE is the specifications. There are none! The installed height is important to me so that the nose pressure is what it should be. Not having the installed height, PSI at X lift makes me a very shy buyer.

I have no doubt the APE are good springs but feel they should display the specifications so that they can be checked and made sure they are installed properly.

PSI lists their specs along with Ferrea and KibbleWhite. The APE's are priced to sell!

Iv tried APE springs the didnt seem to last they broke.

Or are you still geting ferrea to make you special ones ron?

Is the off the shelf ones good enough?

What lift? We can provide this info. Do you have a Rimac tester?

Jay

I have a spring tester but it is not a Rimac.

In using Engine Analyzer Pro to calculate valve toss, the APE springs are not up to the task. I don't think this is set in stone but I do have my reservations.

I am using a .430" lift I and .385"E lift. The valve weight is 37GINT and 31Exh.

IIRC the program wants a lb/IN of 260PSI/IN-EXH or better based on the weights of the APE springs and SS valve weight of 37grams.

FWIW the kibble white springs are allot stronger than the APE(183lbs at .375 with a seat pressure of 70lbs). This is a 300PSI/IN spring.

The PSI springs are 325Lb/IN (50# seat and 175#@ .375)

APE on the other hand is much less. I left the data at home but it is less than 220PSI.

The mass of the APE springs are less due to the diameter and weight and could be less than the KW's and do the same thing.

The PSI springs have the same diameter as the APE.

Something is not right with the data. I have verified my tester against other springs and there seems to be a significant drop in pressure with the APE springs or I have a bad batch or wrong part number.

the ferrea springs are made by pac racing the first ones broke back in 2003 they would last about 9 hours with my cams .DJ from ferrea and I had Criss Osborn from pac make a spring from a better wire and better process i have run up to .450" lift with them im using a cam with 0ver .430" lift with good results.I have had good results with psi also both companys are close to me in detroit . When i was road racing i used s&w springs Don Ricard of R&D worked for them they were horrible i did use some ape springs back in the late 70s with good results in my road race bikes and some drag bikes .The R&D springs are now made to Dons specs by psi .Rock salt i have worked with performance trends for many years i was a dealer and sold a few programs for them .There now off of 8 mile in detroit i was just there a few mounths back while making a stop @ roush racing.Im Quite lucky to live in michigan we have some of the best pepole building parts here .I have probally the best welder in possibbly the world from plmouth michigan also a crank shaft builder that can build any crank for cars or motorcycles.i have had roush build cams for me i have freinds @ dart and also mcClaren racing .ITs just amazing what can be done here i Michigan.

• Like 2

the ferrea springs are made by pac racing the first ones broke back in 2003 they would last about 9 hours with my cams .DJ from ferrea and I had Criss Osborn from pac make a spring from a better wire and better process i have run up to .450" lift with them im using a cam with 0ver .430" lift with good results.I have had good results with psi also both companys are close to me in detroit . When i was road racing i used s&w springs Don Ricard of R&D worked for them they were horrible i did use some ape springs back in the late 70s with good results in my road race bikes and some drag bikes .The R&D springs are now made to Dons specs by psi .Rock salt i have worked with performance trends for many years i was a dealer and sold a few programs for them .There now off of 8 mile in detroit i was just there a few mounths back while making a stop @ roush racing.Im Quite lucky to live in michigan we have some of the best pepole building parts here .I have probally the best welder in possibbly the world from plmouth michigan also a crank shaft builder that can build any crank for cars or motorcycles.i have had roush build cams for me i have freinds @ dart and also mcClaren racing .ITs just amazing what can be done here i Michigan.

What kind of life are you getting out of the Ferreas now with a high lift cam?

The Engine Anaylizer program is a very nice tool and seems to be accurate enough to build an engine from.

i just installed a megacycle x1 cam and i was told by megacycle to use either kibble white or R&D springs.i have the KB springs on my yamaha raptor 660 with a stage 2 cam and never dropped a valve or broke a spring.i have read the forums and i can't find where anyone has any problems with the Kibble springs or valves.

Ok Ron so how do I purchase some off those custom springs from ferrea or psi.im guessing they are not a off the shelf item?

Are the oem springs up to the task if you replace them regularly.

After a session off racing the chip the top off spring flat enough that could make a mess I was lucky.