Sign in to follow this  

DG R Exhaust

Has anyone used a DG R exhaust for the DR. It looks more compact than the FMF I have. I'm wondering how it performs and how it would work coupled with the FMF bomb header.

MXRob, Thank for the link. I did happen to stumble upon this post after I inquired. I assume you don't need the OE mid-pipe header gasket with this system?

It does require the mid-pipe gasket.... the DG mid-pipe would have to modified to use one of the large tube headers without the neck down restriction.

Thanks

The primary reason I'm looking for a change is because I killed the FMF. I kind of got carried away with the rubber mallet during the tight reassembly of the newly wrapped core into the canister. Its about the 5th repacking on this and I got in a hurry. I was hoping to keep the same flow. Looks like I'll be fixing the FMF. In the interim I'm running the stock can with the gasket and an FMF bomb. Sound kind of weird but it amazingly kill all the pop on decel.

Edited by T30

It does require the mid-pipe gasket.... the DG mid-pipe would have to modified to use one of the large tube headers without the neck down restriction.

I assume this gasket is required for the aftermarket FMF header and not the stock, correct? I installed a DG a few months ago and just slid it in and tightened it up. It's been working great. (yes I adjusted my carb and jets)

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but I added the quiet insert to mine. It's wasn't in the instructions, but this need to be put in with some high heat silicone as it rattles if you don't. Ask me how I know? :smirk:

I assume this gasket is required for the aftermarket FMF header and not the stock, correct? I installed a DG a few months ago and just slid it in and tightened it up. It's been working great. (yes I adjusted my carb and jets)

The stock head pipe connector has a carbon/fiber sleeve gasket inside the coupling. If you use the FMF mid-pipe with the stock head pipe the gasket must be dug out of the coupling so the mid-pipe can fit inside of it. The large tube head pipes are sized to fit the larger FMF mid-pipe with no gasket. Just about every other after-market mid pipe muffler system utilizes the stock head pipe coupling sleeve gasket and is therefor necked down to fit inside of it. To gain the full flow potential of the large tube header you need to cut off the necked down portion of the mid-pipe and weld on a tube extension that fits the large tube head pipe.

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but I added the quiet insert to mine. It's wasn't in the instructions, but this need to be put in with some high heat silicone as it rattles if you don't. Ask me how I know? :smirk:

Yes, even the std spark arrester in the Q2/4 should be installed with high temp RTV around the flange to help the one screw keep the SA in place. Rattling it a bad thing on the core, end caps and other components of a glass pack type muffler. Always leading to the pipe destroying itself if left unchecked. :bonk:

So farvim happy with the DG pipe ®. It's loud, I'll need to order the quiet core insert. Also on the 350 I needed to take a little bit of mid pipe off with the sawzaw. I used a little exhaust high temp silicone to help ensure an air tight fit. It worked, no decel Pop what so ever with my newly installed and jetted Pumper carb. For the price the DG is tough to beat. Good lock with the FMF, I was happy with mine(Q-4 on the 650).

Ill definately keep the DG pipe in mind. I called FMF and orderd a complete repair kit for 89 bucks. That's the cheap way to go for now. Had I not already had the Q4 I would have gone with the DG.

So farvim happy with the DG pipe ®. It's loud, I'll need to order the quiet core insert. Also on the 350 I needed to take a little bit of mid pipe off with the sawzaw. I used a little exhaust high temp silicone to help ensure an air tight fit. It worked, no decel Pop what so ever with my newly installed and jetted Pumper carb. For the price the DG is tough to beat. Good lock with the FMF, I was happy with mine(Q-4 on the 650).

Here's an option to consider.....

Thanks for the link Rob.

I really wish I could leave the exhaust as is because I kinda enjoy the higher DB level. This bike is mainly used for the woods so long street rides aren't an issue. There are just way too many people looking for any reason what so ever to get us tossed off of public lands I don't want to give them any ammunition work with. I need to cut about 3db from the overall SPL level to feel ok with public land rides.

Here's a quick picture of mine installed.

933a4795.jpg

I definitely like the looks of the DG R can. Nice :bonk:

Edited by T30