Sign in to follow this  

ttr 225 no power to starter...but will run...what i have checked so far

New to the 225r it is a 2003 model we just picked up

he is coming up from a honda xr100

and yes he wishes it had a kickstart...

rode it for 1 day and then the electric stopped working.

with key on and you hit the start button nothing happens

it will start if you jump start it

what i checked

1. starter does work

1. if you power the starter directly it turns over
    2. if you cross over the solenoid it turns over

[*]the connections from key have power

[*]the connections from the starter and kill switch are good, if you take this off and test the leads seperately there is no break

Where there is NO power and from i can determine is in the harness between the key and the kill switch.

i have attached a video of where i think the issue is.

I'm sorry, I don't remember where the wires you're referring to go. Those crimp connectors do have a tendency to fail with a very consistent record.

Everything you need to test for this below is under the right hand side panel, just behind the battery.

IF I remember correctly, there are two wires on the starter solenoid, one is blue and one is red, the red one is the connection that is open, when you press the starter button it closes and current flows from the switch to ground (might be the other way around). First, test that one or the other has 12V with the key on. If it doesn't, you may have a key switch problem.

After confirming one has 12V power, disconnect it, check now, there should be no power (I have a tendency to be wrong and I don't want to fry your meter). Use a continuity tester or an ohmeter to see that when you press the switch, there's a good electrical connection and when you release, the switch goes open.

If it does not or the connection is weak (high OHM reading), remove and disassemble the switch and clean it really good. (likely the problem)

If the connection is good, you probably have a bad solenoid, but I would still suggest cleaning the switch and making sure the battery is 100% charged before replacing it. You should be able to have the solenoid tested before replacing it.

I discovered a TT-R125 solenoid will also work, but the connectors are completely different, so only attempt this if you've got some experience with these types of relays.

Also, if your switch works sometimes and sometimes not, just go ride it for a weekend with occasional stops, it may fix itself, but the hard part is knowing you're intentionally shutting off a bike that may not restart out in the middle of no where. After I cleaned ours, one out of 2 times, it wouldn't turn over. Eventually this became 1 out of 3, then 1:4, etc. until it turned over every time you pressed the magic button.

Good luck.

Edited by Smacaroni

Ok if you take the red wired off the solenoid plug to hot and the other to ground it starts

This should mean the neutral or clutch wire is bad I may just bypass them

I will let u know what it is

Oh! I forgot about those. There is a clutch lever switch, IIRC, the plug is green. I don't know much else about it because our TT-R was used and the PO had ended up busting the perch and thus the switch was gone. Try simply unplugging it, I'm reasonably sure it's a NO switch, which means when the clutch lever is released it closes. Thus disconnecting the wire makes it permanently open.

I'm pretty sure, if it doesn't work, try shorting it with a paper clip instead, just don't let the clip touch the frame.

But I'm almost positive disconnecting it disables it.

Ours will start in gear, so I don't think it has a neutral safety switch.

Edited by Smacaroni

ok so there is a starter relay switch - this goes to the clutch and the transmission to prevent starting, the complete noob i bought the bike from had replaced the cdi and when he put this switch back in he put in back UPSIDE DOWN so it filled with water and dirt over time.

in fact the bike failed when my son was riding in the rain - it was a cloudy day with a chance of showers that turned into more than a chance....he wanted to ride so we went...

replacement on its way!

I am not a big fan of bypassing all this stuff becuase if you ever need to take the bike into a real shop they cant figure out what you did to make it run...so i replace the parts as needed..

Glad you got it fixed. Where is this switch? The one I'm thinking of can only be installed one way.

bike is at a local shop that ran the issue down....when i get it back i will post a pic

it really was the fault of the guy when he replaced the cdi AND the fact we ran it in the rain, but eventually water would have gotten splashed up in there as well

That's cool. POs are PITAs some times. Well, most of the time. When we bought our TT-R225, it was winter, the day we were to look at it, it was supposed to be flurries. However, two hours away where the bike was (it's not uncommon for me to drive a decent distance to find a bike I want at the price I'm willing to pay AND all the local people selling said bike didn't respond), the weather was a little worse.

Unfortunately, there was a huge crash on the highway and we ended up stuck in traffic for about an hour and a half. Which meant that the weather we were experiencing then, would have been the weather we should have been getting on the way back. Also, we had to turn around and go a different route, we ended up going back to where we started about two hours late. On top of that, the storm was to the south and east, so it was much worse when we got there. Probably around six inches of snow.

We arrive, it's now dark. The guy was very nice about the trouble we had, I look over the bike in his garage, but he can't get it to start. Well, the price was still ok for a bike that otherwise appeared to be what I wanted, and I figured it was just cold and a gummed up carb (common on TT-Rs, Yamaha likes finicky carbs). He had a title which was important since I wanted to D/S it. He told me he even changed the oil.

I paid him, loaded it and left. We got home TEN hours after we initially left, on what should have been a five hour trip including stopping for dinner.

The next day, I pull it out, clean the carb it fires right up! But it sounds like a box of ball bearings falling down stairs! I shut it off immediately.

Turns out, he DRAINED the oil and never put any back in. That's now the #1 thing check before starting a bike that isn't mine. Although pre-purchase inspection for me involves a good 10-15 minutes worth of things to look out for, leaking seals, bent forks, loose spokes, the list is pretty long. http://www.clarity.n...uying-bike.html Has everything I check and more.

Edited by Smacaroni