Sign in to follow this  

question about front tire widths ( 80-90-21 vs. 90-90-21 )

I decided on a set of Pirelli Scorpions, but got the "slightly" thinner 80 width front because it was so much cheaper than the 90 I have on now.

I asked an old freind about this ( who's a very experienced racer and adventure rider ) and he said I'd be fine with the thinner tire, and even said for my purposes ( 98% street) that the thinner tire was even better,

But when the front tire arrived a couple days ago, it immediately felt REAL narrow, and this was confirmed when I comapred it to another un-mounted front tire that I have. I would've thought the difference to be negligible, but it's not, there's a very discernable difference.

Anyway, I thought I'd run this by you guys. Thanks for any input whatsover.........

( and yes, I did check visually the new tire to confirm it was what I'd ordered.)

Edited by Brocephus

I decided on a set of Pirelli Scorpions, but got the "slightly" thinner 80 width front because it was so much cheaper than the 90 I have on now.

I asked an old freind about this ( who's a very experienced racer and adventure rider ) and he said I'd be fine with the thinner tire, and even said for my purposes ( 98% street) that the thinner tire was even better,

But when the front tire arrived a couple days ago, it immediately felt REAL narrow, and this was confirmed when I comapred it to another un-mounted front tire that I have. I would've thought the difference to be negligible, but it's not, there's a very discernable difference.

Anyway, I thought I'd run this by you guys. Thanks for any input whatsover.........

( and yes, I did check visually the new tire to confirm it was what I'd ordered.)

the 80/100-21 is all i run on DIRT.. having a narrower tire front or rear means better turning and will "cut" better through sand and silt.. on street there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in feel or handling between the '80 or 90'.. UNLESS the tread designs were different of course.. and mount the 80 up before judging how skinny it looks. They do inflate you know :smirk:

90/100 is best on these fat pigs, but i have an 80/100 currently and it works okay. do you have pictures. I ran a pirelli scorpion last year, cant remember the size. I have never seen 80/90. that sounds a little too skinny to me.

Edited by n16ht5

. do you have pictures. . I have never seen 80/90.

This is the best I can do,..http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5434/ITEM/Pirelli-MT-90-Scorpion-A-T-Enduro-Front-Tire.aspx

They only seem to have 80/90 and 90/90.

( tried twice,won't let me post a hot link)

Edited by Brocephus