Specifically for ktm, are ohlins inserts better?

Just sharing my experience;

I had an 08 250 SX with TTX front and rear

Stock chock was a bolt on improvement, even if i since rode some revalved WP that were very good

I never got the forks insert to work properly, after a couple of revalve and countless spring rate testing

I met somebody last WE with an 08 and full TTX and he had the same comments, except that he found a knowledgeable tuner for the forks

If i was to do it again (currently on a YZ and trying to trade for an SX), I would do the shock again for the cool factor but would simply revalve the forks, they can work very well

• Like 1

Just sharing my experience;

I had an 08 250 SX with TTX front and rear

Stock chock was a bolt on improvement, even if i since rode some revalved WP that were very good

I never got the forks insert to work properly, after a couple of revalve and countless spring rate testing

I met somebody last WE with an 08 and full TTX and he had the same comments, except that he found a knowledgeable tuner for the forks

If i was to do it again (currently on a YZ and trying to trade for an SX), I would do the shock again for the cool factor but would simply revalve the forks, they can work very well

+1

Without beeing an Öhlins-service center you will be not able to reshim the TTX cartridge correctly. ?

Also you should use the recomended Öhlins oil... I had very good results with Öhlins front fork inserts on KTM's also.

hmm, Brousse, what makes them so unique? I got a set of insertes right now on the bench for service.

Are you speaking from an end user stand point or a tuner perspective.? What Ohlins oil? What are the centistokes?

Just trying to pick your brain! thanks, jw

Are the ttx fork inserts better than the closed chamber forks from an 09 ktm 250sx?

I've heard the shock is, but wondering about the forks....

DirtAddict ,

Sorry to hijack your post, with no added value to you. Anyway, I would go with mog on this.

jw

Im with suhoi and mog on this, ive had quite a few ktm's now... My last one was a 400exc with ttx front and back. I liked the shock and think its worth while, but could never get the forks right after alot of changes to spring rates and valving. I ended up buying a 2nd hand set of wp cc forks, they are now bolted up to my 350 excf, revalved and new dynamic mv setup from kreft moto and im very happy with them so far. Still stock wp shock at this stage, just with a stiffer sr spring.

hmm, Brousse, what makes them so unique? I got a set of insertes right now on the bench for service.

Are you speaking from an end user stand point or a tuner perspective.? What Ohlins oil? What are the centistokes?

Just trying to pick your brain! thanks, jw

I am talking from tuner perspective...

• Like 1

I am talking from tuner perspective...

Okay, great!

I'm going to increase dampening using bank C70. Going from C50 to C70. The rider as a blow through problem, all other recommendations has been exhausted, Correct springs and such.

Basically, adding a shim or 2 to the valving. Which is the same concept on KYB/Showa/wp and such. But,

Here is the difference or the question is, do I need to take in conserderation the bladder pressure while making the change.

I measured 60 psi on the bladder. If you want to call me, 704-739-6489 if you want to discuss offline or shoot me a pm that will be fine.

Jw

Honestly, I was never able to get rid of the blowing through the stroke problem!....tried different springs 45 to 51...different outer chamber oil amounts, preload...tried pressures between 3.5 and 5 bar.....nothing!......Adding one those fancy C and R settings just changes the "stiffness" of the damping curve...See,all curves in this Setting's List have pretty much the same shape!...Then you may expereince some harshness+blowing through the stroke -(All this is based on purely off-road conditions,not MX tracks)...This is my expereince: MV bleed holes,bleed shims,X-overs all over the stacks....It was never good enough for my versatile terrain!

On my YZ the stock-valved TTX fork inserts are a vast improvement. Springrate is everything on these - they like to run on the stiff side for sure with the spring.

I didn't notice they were crazy plush or anything, just very controlled. The way they would transmit and damp high frequency vibrations was astounding too. No numb hands. Likely because of a lot less unnecessary shaking and oscillation in the front end.

The difference in the shock over revalved stock is really phenomenal though. Much bigger difference than the fork cart change. The fork inserts are stock valving and the TTX rear shock was revalved though.

• 2 months later...

As an update to this - I installed a set of updated spring perches that I received from Ohlins with smaller flow ports and that seemed to help the high-speed blow through that these had on the MX track or really high speed desert. Could probably afford to run a few cc less oil now to open up the midstroke a bit. With the stock cartridges, I'm fighting a bit of deflection in loose rocks riding faster offroad. That's pretty much the only complaint I have with the forks at the moment.