San Felipe from the early 70's

I am hoping to hear from anyone who has been to or can remember anything about San Felipe from the early

1970's, namely a particular beachfront RV campground towards the south end of town. I was down there with a neighbor

in November 1971 then again in 2010 for the mil. Back then San Felipe was a sleepy fishing village. A lot of years have passed between those dates and a lot has changed.!

I was amazed actually how SF had changed but also a little disapointed as well.I was trying to find out if the RV park was even still there or got lost in the change. All I remember was there was a huge Tank with a giant sea turtle in it just to the north of where we were camped. There was nothing to the south of us but beach.and sand dunes where we climbed in my neighbors jeep. San Felipe only had one phone there also. I also remember that all of the towns shops/stores were just a short walk to the north of us. That was the most amazing trip of my life as a kid growing up.Can anyone tell me if that particular campground still exists?

One other thing, I had the best and largest shrimp EVER had in San Felipe!

Just an okie offroad rider jones'en to go back!

Robert

Edited by vetracer1

here's what I remember from the early 70s:

1. they used to rent honda 50s on the malecon

2. your dad could send you to buy him beer and cigs even though you were only 10

3. the liquor stores would cut off your 15 year old cousin when they realized he was drunk

4. riding my honda sl70 to Puertecitos at 10 or 11 will always be considered one of my life's greatest accomplishments

5. the housekeeper of my Pop's friend that had a trailer in town was actually more than the guys housekeeper. hahaha

6. if you steal a kid's honda sl70, even the gringo that stoled mine, you are going to get caught. Wonder how he liked the mexican jail?

===

my mom has a picture somewhere of my dad and grandfather with a massive totuava fish from the 50s. I gotta find that pic

san felipe still is cool

Edited by soylent_green

here's what I remember from the early 70s:

4. riding my honda sl70 to Puertecitos at 10 or 11 will always be considered one of my life's greatest accomplishments

This put a smile on my face and brought back distant memories of when I was in my early teens (40 years ago) exploring on a Honda S90.

Not in Mexico, but I felt like the king of the world anyway!

Bruce

I went there a bunch with my mom and dad back in the early 70's and stayed in that RV Park once. It backed up to the sand dunes but we only stayed there once on a big American holiday. Generally we stayed at the San Felipe Beach and Tennis Club, anyone remember that place, which I believe is now called The El Cortez.

Do you remember the old WW-2 Trainer Plane in the dirt lot in town? We would climb on that thing for hours. How about the San Felipe Clam Man? In the 80's before he died he would charge $5.00 dollars to get your picture taken with him. This was all before the white arches and the pavement ended about two blocks before you reached the beach. Back in the early 80's ....like 81or 82 they still only had one gas station in town so on big american holidays...if you were smart, you'd fill up the night you got to town before they ran out of gas.

RAS San Diego

I'll be 50 this year......but I only feel 40. ?

I went there a bunch with my mom and dad back in the early 70's and stayed in that RV Park once. It backed up to the sand dunes but we only stayed there once on a big American holiday. Generally we stayed at the San Felipe Beach and Tennis Club, anyone remember that place, which I believe is now called The El Cortez.

Do you remember the old WW-2 Trainer Plane in the dirt lot in town? We would climb on that thing for hours. How about the San Felipe Clam Man? In the 80's before he died he would charge $5.00 dollars to get your picture taken with him. This was all before the white arches and the pavement ended about two blocks before you reached the beach. Back in the early 80's ....like 81or 82 they still only had one gas station in town so on big american holidays...if you were smart, you'd fill up the night you got to town before they ran out of gas.

RAS San Diego

I'll be 50 this year......but I only feel 40. ?

I'm mid 50's. I remember the road ending way before the beach and there was no malecon at the time! I remember the only phone in town was on a pole

in what might have been a town square? Of course i'm older now and have drowned waaay too many brain cells since then. So do you remember the name of that RV park?

I have a picture where there is water on both sides of the hwy. on the narrow stretch between Mexicali and the small sand dunes.

I remember this as well, but more like 1983. Tons of people were fishing where the water crossed the highway through the canals. I did not start going down until 1982, but definitely recall the one and only gas station. Absolutely mandatory that you fueled up as you were coming into town at night. That one phone booth down on the malecon also took me for about $45 some years later after making about a 2 minute phone call.

Some things never change though, I'm pretty sure those couple of old fishing boats in the cove on the north side by the malecon are still under construction just like they were 30 years ago.

Edited by OUTERLIMITS

I remember this as well, but more like 1983. Tons of people were fishing where the water crossed the highway through the canals. I did not start going down until 1982, but definitely recall the one and only gas station. Absolutely mandatory that you fueled up as you were coming into town at night. That one phone booth down on the malecon also took me for about $45 some years later after making about a 2 minute phone call.

Some things never change though, I'm pretty sure those couple of old fishing boats in the cove on the north side by the malecon are still under construction just like they were 30 years ago.

Sounds about right82' or 83'. Yes on the gas station too. Also on beer and ice from the place up by the lighthouse.

I have some fond memories of going to Pete's back in the mid 80's.

Aaaaaaaa Petes Camp in the 80's.....I was there. Riding back to camp after having one to many beers in town on the old trusty CR500. Puking over the cliff and those out houses.......OMG!!!!!! Good memories....Good memories.

RAK

Sounds about right82' or 83'. Yes on the gas station too. Also on beer and ice from the place up by the lighthouse.

Seems like we brought all the "goods" with us! I barely remember filling the tank and gas cans before crossing over. We were in a late sixty's jeep cj (pretty new then) with 2 military gas can s on back. My neighbors parents drove a shoebox Bronco pulling a travel trailer. so I don't remember there even being a gas station there. You guys are making me feel oldjust talking about the eighties! I barely remember what I did in the 80's. Too many hangovers in that period I guess.

Keep the memories coming!

I've only been going there for the last 5 years. I wish I had seen the place sooner!! There is a camp grounds between the Malecon and El Cortez, perhaps the one you are asking about.

You can ride a rice rocket to Puertecitos these days, heck in a year you will be able to drive tarmac to Gonzaga. Good roads bring Bad people? Hope not, and by the way, 5 years ago I found I loved this place so much I had a friend build me a casita there.

mtz

I have a kinda funny picture on my wall at work that we took way back in the day. Problem is, I forget where exactly it was taken. It is a small airplane that was nosed into the ground and I think it said "air mail" on the side of it. Outside of the plane were some scattered items, but the funny part was a pair of what looked like skeleton bones with boots on them sticking out of the ground as if the pilot went head first into the ground. There was a small picket fence around the whole thing. Anybody know it? I want to say it was well south of town, maybe towards Percibu, but not sure. Too many coco locos that day and apparently I was lost in a moment when I snapped the shot.

I've only been going there for the last 5 years. I wish I had seen the place sooner!! There is a camp grounds between the Malecon and El Cortez, perhaps the one you are asking about.

You can ride a rice rocket to Puertecitos these days, heck in a year you will be able to drive tarmac to Gonzaga. Good roads bring Bad people? Hope not, and by the way, 5 years ago I found I loved this place so much I had a friend build me a casita there.

mtz

I dunno.....Someone from another forum said it could be "club dePesca" but I'm not certain. Anybody got pics from "back then"? you should post them up!

Mtz, Can I stay at your Casita sometime?.......................Just kiddin'

• Like 1

Early eighty's they used to hold the OTL world championship out at Pete's camp on memorial weekend. I remember bottle rocket wars at night between the Miramar and the bar across the street. One time the cops came rushing into the Miramar, dragged out a big surfer dude who was in a fight. Tossed him in the back of the "squad car". They went back in to get the other guy, someone opened the car door and sprang the guy loose! He ran down the street, free as a bird!

I have a kinda funny picture on my wall at work that we took way back in the day. Problem is, I forget where exactly it was taken. It is a small airplane that was nosed into the ground and I think it said "air mail" on the side of it. Outside of the plane were some scattered items, but the funny part was a pair of what looked like skeleton bones with boots on them sticking out of the ground as if the pilot went head first into the ground. There was a small picket fence around the whole thing. Anybody know it? I want to say it was well south of town, maybe towards Percibu, but not sure. Too many coco locos that day and apparently I was lost in a moment when I snapped the shot.

That Percebu for sure! Many a good time had there. As for the trailer park it has to be Club De Pesca it was the only rv park in that area for many many years.

That Percebu for sure! Many a good time had there. As for the trailer park it has to be Club De Pesca it was the only rv park in that area for many many years.

Is it still there? I didn't see it /recognize it when I was there in 2010. I know one thing for sure...........Next time I go down to S.F., I will spend more time looking around. I'll also be taking a dirt bike this time! Thanks for the info guys! Keep the memories coming.....and post up some pics.

Edited by vetracer1

As you drive towards Reubens trailer park on the road that is now paved, just before you see the baseball field on your left there is a rocky hill on your right. It is a narrow bluff that will fit 2 or 3 cars. We used to reliably camp there on all the big 3-day weekends and never found anyone camping there before we got there. You overlooked the water and were a short walk to Reubens or a quick run into town on the 3-wheeler. Not that I would want to camp there now as it's not remote enough for me anymore, but it still looks open.

Guys, I think the trailer park you are thinking about is just south of Costa Azul. Looks like there are still a couple of them there. This would be before you get to El Cortez and long before before club de pesca. I seem to remember the name "Campo de Laura", but I'm sure it's long since been renamed.

BTW, I'm thinking of doing maybe a 3-day ride (with a layover day) from Tecate to San Felipe in the coming couple of months if I can gather any interest. Probably rent a house or two at El Dorado if anyone is up. Will steer clear of the 250 weekend though.

The RV park that was at the south end of town is still called Club De Pesca. It is at the end of the road "Mar de Cortes" at the base of the sand hill. Yes, it is still there, I have friends who have had a trailer parked there permenately since the late 70's.