Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Why does CA have so many SX races?

I was looking at the schedule for this season and noticed there are something like 5 races in Cali.

I think It would be cool to have one in Omaha and then maybe one in Philadelphia. Couldn't that bring more fans to the sport?

I mean, when looking at the schedule, this is what I see:

CA- 5 races

TX- 2 races

AZ- 1 race

GA- 1 race

MO- 1 race

FL- 1 race

IN- 1 race

ON Canada- 1 race

LA- 1 race

WA- 1 race

UT- 1 race

NV- 1 race

Where would you guys like to see a SX race?

It's because we are the best state and the riders, mechanics, team managers etc given their druthers would rather be in CA than any other state. After all we've got the best weather, scenery etc. It's all Sun and rock starts out here baby :smirk:

• Like 2

Yeah, the northeast could really use an event - maybe toward the end of the schedule when the weather makes it more feasible.

The majority of the industry and sponsors are in California. That is the main reason why. The 2nd reason is the lack of domes in the East and SX is ran during the winter months. They use to hold a race at the Meadowlands (Giants Stadium) in New Jersey but the weather and cold made it misserable.

The only thing I can figure is that you all are a lot younger than me! So Cal is where is it all started, both MX and SX. I'm an east coast native but realize that So Cal is still the heart of it all. They have the oldest and biggest fan base also I'm sure. I know that some east coast venues have been around for a long time, (I was at High Point in the late 70's) but So Cal is still where its at.

The LA SX didn't sell out (not close) and I don't know how good the SD one does but the 2 Anaheim's always do good and I heard the Oakland one sold out

I work across the street from Angel's Stadium so I love having the option of basically 4 SX races within driving distance. and I also love all the live races Speed is showing this year.

I am pretty sure that weather is the main reason the north east doesn't get any SX races. Also in NY and NJ I have heard that the stadiums up there have union workers so the Dirt Werx guys could't even do the work up there, Feld would have to use union workers. I could be way wrong on this though, just something I thought I heard a while ago when this came up

I believe that Michigan is very deserving of hosting a race again. Michigan has LOTS of die hard motocross fans that bleed the sport. After all, Redbud, in Buchanon holds the attendance record year after year for their national. Don't think they have had a SX race since the old Pontiac silverdome events. The closest thing is Indy which is only 2 hrs from me. The greater Detroit area really deserves to host it again imo...

I was at Oakland and it wasnt sold out as far as stadium seats, there were plenty of empty seats, that place holds I think 70,000+. Then watching the A2 race, I heard Sheehan say in front of "A sold out crowd". Im sure the Socal races sellout or are close. Either way there is a much bigger grouping of people/riders and good weather in California, so unfortunately for rest of US they get less races. I still think weather is the biggest factor. Then look at the 5 races in California, only one is in my area( S.F. Bay Area), the other 4 are in L.A area, again because thats cosidered the hub of motocross.

Cali is the Mecca of Moto.... We all go around saying BRAAAAAAP BRAP all day long ..

No seriously we have the Demographic to fill more seats for these types of events... also our 75 degree days in mid February dont hurt either ....

What about Charlotte, NC? Its 4 hours from Atlanta and 8 hours from Daytona so its not too close to another venue. It will be warm enough in about a month that the lack of a domed stadium wouldn't matter. I don't know how many mx fans there are around it though.

The supercross always came to Minneapolis during the 90's but I'm not sure what year it stopped coming up here or why. We have a domed stadium here that I would think is Dying to host ANYTHING since the Vikings are the only thing on the regular there anymore now that the Twins have their own park.

Looking on Google it appears we had a race all the way up until 2008.

Edited by long arm

No all of you are completely wrong....

The reason why we in cali have so many more races than the rest of the states, is simply because our "bro" vs. average race fan ratio is far higher than anywhere else in the world.

It all comes down to one thing ...$$$$. I went to the last few SX races in the twin cities and every year less people where showing up. Now it is no longer hosting SX in the metrodome.

No all of you are completely wrong....

The reason why we in cali have so many more races than the rest of the states, is simply because our "bro" vs. average race fan ratio is far higher than anywhere else in the world.

ding ding ding!!!