Sign in to follow this  

Top clamp

Hey guys I managed to crack my top triple clamp on my 2012 rm-z 450. I can't afford a new stock or aftermarket clamp. Does anyone have or know someone who has one they would be willing to part with for a low price? Maybe someone that has upgraded to an aftermarket set and has the stock one laying around.

jophis37@yahoo.com

Not sure. I've has a few crashes. But they were't hard. Just fell over in turns here and there. I did warp my radiator on the last one. I took the clamp to a machine shop to ee if they could weld it. They said they wouldn't touch it. They said that it looked like a stress fracture.

I only noticed it when I went to see if my forks were twisted in the clamps. The front wheel looked straight but it felt off while riding.

If we can verfiy that an 08-09' top clamp will work on the 12' 450 than I "may" have one for you....

i have never heard of/much less seen something like this before, would it be too much to ask where it was cracked? (maybe a pic)

if the 08 to 09 is the same as 10-12, u can use a 05 -07 the top clamp is the same as the 08-09 , only the bottom is different between 05-07 and the 08-09.My guess is they are all the same suzuki only changed the head stock distance between the clamps to increase stiffness on the chassis change on the 10-12 chassis not the offset or the od of the fork.

Edited by DESAT

Sorry to leave you guys hanging. So I took my clamp off and tried to replace it with one I borrowed off an 08. It didn't sit right. I think the depression that sits over the steering stem is shallower on the 08. Any ways I found another clamp and the issued has been resolved. I should have a taken a pic. Sorry guys. I gave the clamp to a friend who is taking a welding class in college. He used it as a class project. Anyway the crack was on the left side. If you imagine the hole that surrounds the left fork as a clock. It would be at the 7:30 position. Just a small crack that was only 2.5 mm long and ran to the edge of the clamp. It was small enough to where I almost thought about running it but didn't want to chance it. I took the clamp to a machine shop to have it fixed but they turned me down. They said it was a stress crack and they didn't want to weld it due to liability reasons. So I gave it to my buddy for his school project. I feel safer knowing its not on the bike to be honest. Thanks for your guys feed back Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you guys. Oh for those guys thinking I may have over torqued the pinch bolts. That wasn't the case. This bike is still relatively new. I've only loosen the bolts once and torqued per the manual.

Glad you got it fixed. Was watching post to see if an 08' would fit as I was going to send the clamp as I have a Stock one and Sunline model.