Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Injection Issues on 2012's

I keep reading about the fuel injection issues and am having a little hesitation with making my purchase. I not sure how great my sense of humor is going to be having a dealer charge me to fix my new bike or offer up some BS on all the things I need to do to make my brand new bike that has passed KTM's R&D work correctly. Pour the gas through 3 filters, say a chant, pray, carry a new injector on the trail, etc.... I am used to my WR450 that for the last two years has pretty much been riden, cleaned, riden, cleaned, riden and cleaned without really any issues. Upgrading to a new bike to then have head aches right out the gate is not what i am looking for. I also understand that every bike has the possibility of having problems, new or not.

I do find it strange that street bikes have fuel injection and have had fuel injection for a long time using the same gas from the pump and there hasn't been huge issues with them, in having to jump through hoops to keep the bike running correctly.

I'd like to hear just from the people that have 2012's and their fuel injection experiences so far.

What Model?

Have you had ANY fuel injection problems?

If you have brought it to the dealer to be worked on, have you been charged and what did they change/do?

If the dealer did change things, did it work and has your bike been good ever since?

Have you had to return to the dealer for the same issue?

Has it been worth the hassle or do you wish you purchased something different or waited until 2013 to see if they work out the issues?

2012 ktm 350 xcf..

38.5 hrs.. My stock inline fuel filter at injector was a little clogged. Put in a golan and thats the only thing I have done to this bike other than the timing chain tensioner which failed on me.. If I was buying new 2012 ktm, I would buy a dirt tricks of DJH timing tensioner and golan or cam am fuel filter and install before I even started the bike then ride the wheels off..

Well, I have to be honest with you, my 2012 350 died on my third time out. The fuel pump went. Here's the good news. These things come with a 6 mo warrantee and ktm customer service next day aired a new fuel pump to the dealer for a saturday delivery. They also included a new filter kit. Of course there was no charge for this. I've been out about 8 times since and so far so good. I ran into a buddy last weekend who purchased the same bike right when they came out this past summer. He had the same issue but it was only the filter. He's had no issues since. I had an 08 450 that developed a frame crack after 160 hrs. Ktm made good on it and gave me a new frame. Ktm has treated me nothing but right and I had no problems throwing down cash for another. I'd go for it dude, it's a fun bike!

You are going to get mixed opinions on this one for sure.

For example, I have not had any FI problems with my 11 350.

What stinks is every time I read these forums (for other purposes) I come across these problems.

It gets in my head.

Getting stranded in one thing...

I've had a bike (not KTM) lose fuel in the face of a big jump and pitched me over w/ the bike breaking my hip in a bad way. It almost ended my career.

So, even though my KTM has not had this problem it bothers me. Is it a matter of time? I don't want to find out.

So, I went with a 12 RMZ250 (no known fuel problems). However, all I hear is false neutrals (thought this was fixed for 2011 but still seeing issues on this forum). Same thing can happen (bad crash). Again, it gets in your head.

Sometimes it makes me think about going back to my 08 CRF250. Did this bike have issues? Yep. But nothing that was going to wad me up due to bike mechanicals.

And yes, I've heard Honda having problems with reliability (crank, gas in oil) and chassis setup the last couple years. But, none of these will seriously injure a rider.

Something to think about when upgrading to the latest technology.

Sorry for being a debbie downer. 2 new bikes for me and I can't even enjoy them. :smirk:

If someone has a fresh view on this kind of stuff I would love to hear it. thx.

We have a 2011 250 SXF that has about 30 hours on it with no issues. I did install the tiny little fuel filter (that come on the 2012's stock) and plan on installing the Golan inline filter soon. I also got scared after reading the posts on this site and purchased the filter sock that fits in the gas tank. I purchased the rubber cover for the TPS but since the dealer almost needs to install since it requires removing the wiring from the plug I haven't performed this upgrade yet. The bike has ridden in all conditions from typical Midwest riding and has yet to even stutter.

Since my 2010 450 EXC suffered from fueling issues (pilot jet plugging and float valve sticking) within the first ten miles, and my very knowledgeable dealer has reported that the plastic gas tanks can leach off a material that clogs jets and filters, I believe the issue may result from the new gasoline formula's (ethanol perhaps) interacting in a negative way with the tank. Once I dealt with cleaning the carb and installing an external fuel filter the problems went away on my 450 - it runs flawlessly now.

This is a vexing issue for sure but hasn't lessened our extreme happiness with the KTM brand - these bikes are phenomenal high performance machines.

Regardless of the percentages of failed efi bikes, why would any KTM dealer sell one more bike without installing one of the larger filters. To expect a customer to spend $8000 plus for a "race ready" performance machine of this purported caliber and have a known failure potential is beyond stupid. The efi problem is one that can injure or leave stranded riders in a very precarious state. Field fixes are basically none. I just cannot imagine the factory suits letting another run of bikes leave without a kit for the dealer or even doing the fix while still on the assembly line. Toyally irrelevant whether it is a plastic leeching, dirt, etc problem. Put the damn CORRECT/PROVEN filters in KTM!!!!!!!!!! And in the future do your product development tests yourself, assigning this to the consumer is not acceptable in todays competitive market. A growing number of buyers are not the blindly loyal, koolaid drinking types and expect/demand better.

Edited by YHGEORGE

All good points YHGEORGE. In the case of my dealer they stand behind the product 100%. However, as a small business owner on a financial tightrope, without factory support it is hard to justify spending money on every bike that is sold when many (or most) don't seem to have any issues. As far as the fuel pump issue in particular - KTM isn't alone with issues related to dirt induced failures. How many riders cleaned out their old gas tank when they got their new bike? Off road riding is a dirty affair :-) and the downside to FI is that it isn't tolerant of dirt in the fuel.

With a few precautions as I mentioned in my previous post, the issues can be prevented (at least I think so). I'm not even sure that the small inline filter that was introduced in 2012 is even being used anymore. My understanding was that this filter was designed to keep dirt that was introduced into the fuel lines (past the fuel tank filter) when the fuel tank was removed and the lines weren't covered properly. This issue would be true on any brand of FI bike.

To be fair, the learning curve in the automotive world when FI was introduced was long and expensive. We should benefit from this experience and I hope that the issues experienced by the off-road motorcycle industry will be corrected fairly quickly.

With all that said, I agree completely that It is up to KTM to make things right before the bike leaves the showroom floor and to properly support the dealer in that effort.

dont go to a forum before buying anything or you will never buy anything!!!! you wanna downer go drop 70 k on a new diesel truck and go on one of their forums. you will wanna kill ur salesman and then yourself. i have an 11 350 no issues caused by the bike. only the mech who didthe bearing recall and &%$#@!ed the timing. rode and raced the bike with a valve hittin the piston. been fixed. approx 50 hrs and no problems. did stall a few times in the snow before i siliconed the grey thing . the 12 has a cover. love the bike. if you want the bike with the best reliability buy a yamaha. some will argue this fact but most will agree.

• Like 1

Regardless of the percentages of failed efi bikes, why would any KTM dealer sell one more bike without installing one of the larger filters. To expect a customer to spend $8000 plus for a "race ready" performance machine of this purported caliber and have a known failure potential is beyond stupid. The efi problem is one that can injure or leave stranded riders in a very precarious state. Field fixes are basically none. I just cannot imagine the factory suits letting another run of bikes leave without a kit for the dealer or even doing the fix while still on the assembly line. Toyally irrelevant whether it is a plastic leeching, dirt, etc problem. Put the damn CORRECT/PROVEN filters in KTM!!!!!!!!!! And in the future do your product development tests yourself, assigning this to the consumer is not acceptable in todays competitive market. A growing number of buyers are not the blindly loyal, koolaid drinking types and expect/demand better.

You are right. KTM is responsible for all of their teething problems.

But... don't we all know by now that there's a risk associated when a certain technology is introduced? It doesn't excuse KTM from blame, but its also well known that these type of things can happen.

i got just over 20 hours on my 2011 350sxf

not one problem to date, i did have low reading from the TPS sensor when i had the 2012 mapping done at the dealer, i didnt notice anything wrong on the track! once i got the bike home i put some sensor safe silicone around the TPS

i do filer my fuel and i can see particals in the filter after filling the tank i also clean my filters after every ride, thats something ive always done though

and the downside to FI is that it isn't tolerant of dirt in the fuel.

I work in one of the worlds largest refinerys and fuel is very dirty when it leaves here especially diesel so don't think that any fuel at the pump is clean by looking at it because its full of dirt and rust.

I put dirty gas in internal combustion engines all the time with no problem so I'm still not convinced its a dirty fuel issue especially in the US since I never hear or see these problems at the track.

My 350 runs great with no filter and no silicone on it.

Jason

maybe its bad air filter maintenance? ive heard of people putting the inline fuel filter on there 2011 bike and then the filter clogs rather than the injector jet

so it could be there not cleaning/oiling there filters properly or even making sure its sealed correctly on the air box